Join now - be part of our community!

STRDH820 & PS3 Slim HDMI Control not working

sihardy97
Explorer

STRDH820 & PS3 Slim HDMI Control not working

Hi,

I recently bought a Sony STRDH820 home cinema A/V receiver. Other than some issues with Sky+ HD interoperabilty and some clunkiness with the AVR interface, I am so far quite pleased with it. However, I do have one annoyance with it that I feel should be resolvable.

I hadn't previously taken advantage of CEC (or HDMI control), but having become aware of it realised how useful it would be. Particularly making life easier for the rest of the family when using the amp. Unfortunately Sky boxes do not use CEC, but my Samsung Bluray player works perfectly with it. However, my PS3 does not.

I have gone into the PS3 settings and turned "HDMI Control" to "On". Nothing. It doesn't switch the amp to the correct input, and powering on or off either amp or PS3 does not power on/off the other. I did wonder if perhaps I was using an older HDMI cable (wasn't certain, and there was nothing printed on the cable to confirm). So I ordered a new HDMI cable which is v1.4a compliant. Still HDMI Control doesn't work.

Being both Sony products I expected this to be seamless, so I am somewhat disapponted.

Have others got the HDMI control working between these two products? If so, do you have any tips as to how I can get it working?

Many thanks,

Simon

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Do you have CEC (Control for HDMI) functions to your TV as well?  A Sony TV or..? 

I have the the DH820 and PS3 working fine with a single remote : I mainly use the TV remote to control the PS3.  To control the PS3 via the DH820 remote, I press the TV button first (which lights up in red the TV and Shift buttons) ... But i guess that also means that my TV is really controlling the CEC functions for the PS3.

When I turn the PS3 on, it does auto switch to the correct input on the DH820

So yes, it does work.

Cheers

sihardy97
Explorer

No, the (Samsung) TV does not support CEC. But the PS3 is not connected directly to the TV. The only connection to the TV is a single HDMI cable receiving the output from the STRDH820 AVR.

The PS3 is connected to the AVR's HDMI socket labelled as "Game". The Bluray player is connected to the AVR's HDMI socket labelled as "BD Player". The (Samsung) bluray player worked immediately with CEC. It was already enabled by default. The PS3 was "HDMI Control" disabled by default. Enabling it and ensuring that I have an up to date HDMI cable has made no difference to how the PS3 and AVR interact.

I have yet to program the remote for the STRDH820, and I am instead using each devices' own remotes and control panels.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mines connected that way too.

PS3 to DH820 (game) to TV (ARC-HDMI1) - All 3 has CEC on.

The Sammy TV, not even have simplink?

sihardy97
Explorer

The TV is a UE40EH5000. As far as I can tell this set does not support either CEC or ARC. But surely this should not make any difference to how the PS3 and the DH820 talk to each other? Should it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

To be honest, I have no idea why its not working.  Once all devices have CEC functions (Control for HDMI) switched on, and are using at least a HDMI 1.3a cable, it just works, as there really isnt any other settings to look at.  Thats why i mentioned the TV, as that is the only difference (variable) in my setup to yours.

I guess if no one else has any ideas on this forum, you might want to think about contacting Sony via email or phone.  If you do, specifically mention Control for HDMI (CEC) as im sure they will initially say - "Well the PS3 uses a blutooth remote whereas the DH820 is infrared."

I had a look at the manual and specs of your TV, and cant see any mention of ARC or CEC functions.

sihardy97
Explorer

Yeah, I am pretty stumped. I may have to look for the most appropriate way of contacting Sony. Thanks for your time looking though.