Join now - be part of our community!

UBP X-800 Player Continually Crashing

profile.country.GB.title
MrAndyRoo81
Explorer

UBP X-800 Player Continually Crashing

Hello all,

Basically, ever since we had this player it has very occassionally crashed. Not often, but always.

In the last month or so, however, the player now seems to be crashing *all* the time. Being the conspiracy theorists we are (joke), we did notice that this has suddenly started exactly one month after it has gone out of warranty!

The player doesn't crash with discs in it; however, sometimes between changing discs or when turning the player on initially the whole thing just stops working: you can't eject the disc (if it's closed), you can't get the disc shutter to close (if it's open), you can't load streaming media such as Netflix etc. It essentially just bricks itself, and that's that. The only way to make it start working again is if we turn it off at the wall, leave it for a few minutes, and then plug it in. We have noticed that - increasingly - this routine has to be repeated 2 or 3 times before the player *finally* starts working.

The other thing that we've noted is that it also seems to sometimes cause the TV to crash and switch itself off and then back on - and we have absolutely no idea why.

This seems to be quite a common problem, and Sony support don't seem to care in the slightest and are just fobbing us off with excuses - so does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this?

We're on the latest firmware update. I could do a factory reset, although I'd rather not, as I am not convinced that will actually solve the issue.

Any ideas at all would be appreciated. Right now we're thinking of just binning it and buying a different brand.

Cheers,

Andy

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI there,

Please try a factory reset, and let us know how you get on.

Best wishes,

M

profile.country.GB.title
MrAndyRoo81
Explorer

Tried that twice and it's made absolutely no difference at all!

profile.country.GB.title
Vanilla_
Contributor

Hi MrAndyRoo81,

Could you try to unplug the external devices that are connected to the player and just test the general performance of the device? You can also try to connect it to a different TV to confirm that the issue isn't caused by the connected devices.

Let us know if this makes any difference.

Vanilla_

profile.country.GB.title
MrAndyRoo81
Explorer

It makes no difference what else is plugged in, it's clearly some kind of design flaw in the player. Having read various reviews, it seems this is quite a common defect with this model.

I'm afraid I don't have a couple of grand lying around to buy a new TV, so I can't try that one.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
MrAndyRoo81
Explorer

Made no difference. Cheers.