Join now - be part of our community!

UBP-X700 does not support Dolby TrueHD (ATMOS) in MKV files

profile.country.US.title
pippo-73
Explorer

UBP-X700 does not support Dolby TrueHD (ATMOS) in MKV files

UBP-X700 does not support Dolby TrueHD (Atmos) format packaged in MKV files. Right now the only way to play Atmos files is by using M2ST containers, but M2ST is not as common for online content as MKV. For example all the Atmos demos downloadable from the Dolby homepage, are in MKV format.

Does anyone know if there are chances that Sony in the future will be able to provide a firmware update to fix this issue? After all Sony claims MKV and Dolby TrueHD support for this product. Has anyone experienced this problem?

28 REPLIES 28
profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

Hi there,

Welcome to the Sony Community.

I will pass your feedback to the team.  It's also best to keep an eye on the Sony Website Press Releases for all the latest news and updates.

Best wishes,

Sean Mc

profile.country.GB.title
msmithani
Explorer

Hi

I have a Sony Bluray player too.

if you can confirm whether other Dolby atmos products work, then i may be able to help you

profile.country.US.title
pippo-73
Explorer

Thank you for offering your support. I also found Dolby atmos demos in M2TS Format and those played just fine on mine UBP-X700 / Sony HT-ST5000 sound bar combo. It is just a shame that most of the online content is available in MKV format and not M2ST.

profile.country.GB.title
msmithani
Explorer

OK,

I have a Sony TV, and a Sony blu ray player, and a speaker tower.

How I know that I am getting Dolby, or not is that in the top left hand corner of my TV, there is text - stereo, or dolby stereo.

I did loads of research into this, and to get the full effects you have to connect your TV to the soundbar using HDMI out, with the ARC one. You have to connect your blu ray player to the TV using HDMI In on the TV. i don't think that connecting the blu ray player to the sound bar optically is going to help. unless you have several HDMI ports on the sound bar (make sure they are all input), connect everything as i have suggested. do not use optical cable or toslink. it is not as effective as HDMI. it is not necessarily the file, but the connection. if you have more than one HDMI input, then connect both the blu ray player and tv to the soundbar using HDMI cables

if you can confirm to me that you have connected all via HDMI, then it is likely to the file and the HDMI variable is eliminated.

profile.country.US.title
pippo-73
Explorer

I have a configuration that is completely different than yours. I connect to the HT-ST5000 sound bar first then the sound bar extracts the sound and bypasses the video to the tv. No ARC or eARC used.

In this issue there is no guess work involved since I can display the audio format with the info button. Basically when trying to play Dolby TrueHD (ATMOS) from a MKV source there is no sound and the following text appears for a few seconds: “Format not Supported”. The video works. Other sound formats such as “Dolby Digital 5.1” work as well.

I am afraid that only SONY can help me by adding Dolby TrueHD support for MKV signal sources. Thanks a lot anyway.

profile.country.GB.title
msmithani
Explorer

I am sorry that you feel that way. I have used Sony products for years. In my experience if the initial troubleshooting steps have not worked, then you really are wasting your time .

I have seen a similar problem, where the gentleman eventually came around to my way of thinking that replacing all the cabling with HDMI would resolve the issue. 

The crux of the argument is that optical is a weaker connection, if you are using it, and you will likely end up losing sound. 

I cannot guarantee you that my solution will work but can provide you with significant evidence that HDMI 

offers hugely better connectivity as compared to optical, and can advise you on the best way to connect your hardware to achieve your desired solution. 

In my opinion you are not reaching the full potential because you are using optical and not HDMI, but if you wish to place all your hopes in Sony, then good luck to you. If you want me to help please confirm specifically how your system is wired, and whether or not you want me to help. Otherwise good luck in your endeavours. 

profile.country.US.title
pippo-73
Explorer

Who talked about optical? I am using HDMI all the way through. You are making wrong assumptions because you do not actually know the products, even if they are the same brand not necessarily they work in the same way. I really appreciate that you are trying to help me but please if you really want to do so read the manuals and learn what MKV means. If you will do so you will understand that the only way you can help me is by joining me in asking SONY to support ATMOS in MKV files. Best regards.

profile.country.GB.title
msmithani
Explorer

Ok,

Good luck.

I didn't know you were using HDMI all the way because you never indicated this.

However if you are not connected using HDMI ARC on both the TV and the Soundbar, you are probably not helping matters.

profile.country.GB.title
leelew17
New

Same problem here... this box supports TRUHD and MKV but not together... it's supposed to be 1 box that let's you play anything