Join now - be part of our community!

UPDATED ***RDR Stuck in Update or no Digital channels issue***

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

UPDATED ***RDR Stuck in Update or no Digital channels issue***

Hi all,

To avoid having several thread son the same subject I thought I'd try an let you know what I believe has happened so far, please don't shot the messenger after all I am only a user like yourselves & DO NOT WORK FOR SONY..

As you all have noticed Sony do not have technical support on the weekends, one of the 'Experts' noticed several users posting regarding RDR machines either stuck in Update or Digital channels missing and emailed one of our contacts in Sony this morning but as far as I am aware there has not been a reply..

I have also noticed that the newly appointed Community Managers have as also flagged this issue to their dedicated team (see post), unfortunately as it's the weekend I wouldn't expect any information to made available until Monday..

Quinnicus has posted two temporary workarounds that will hopefully allow you to use your RDR's..

For those stuck in Update please click HERE

For those with the No Digital Channels Issue please click HERE

I can imagine that you are frustrated by the lack of official response from Sony but could I ask that rather than creating several threads on the subject you instead just click on Me Too on this thread that will indicate how many users that have visited the forum are affected by the problem..

I am affected by the current RDR Stuck in Update or no Digital channels issue & have clicked on Me Too

UPDATE:

Hopefully the EPG is on your Sony RDR devices should now be back to normal..

I would like to thank all the Community forum members who helped in assisting others through this problem..:smileythumbsup:

167 REPLIES 167
LastLap

In case anyone else has been following my posts due to having similar problems since the last udates, I would like to share - and celebrate - my successful outcome.  I was told that I would need to take it to an approved Sony repair agent - which was very far from where I live and see if it could be repaired.   The machine would do nothing in the end without freezing and I could not even get it to restore to factory settings and I could latterly only have the DVD button lit up, not the HDD button.   I spent time studying the manual and found a bit in Settings and Adjustments about 'fragmenting' of the HDD.   I had to go into the System Menu, Disc Setup and choose to Format the HDD.  This wiped all the old recordings - and my recorder is now working perfectly.   I have tried recording a few different programmes today to check and they have recorded and can be played back.   I have the EPG settings so it appears to be back to normal.   If Sony are looking for a new techician I may have found my calling.........!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well done !

Im really glad its worked out for you.  And thank you for posting back your resolution.  May help others, if they have similar problems.

Mr_Onion

Excellent news.

My theory of computers? Keep on hitting it with a big stick until it submits or breaks :wink:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Excellent LastLap, glad you managed to fix your problem, I'm surprised Sony tech support did not suggest this..
LastLap

Last post from Last Lap!   The success didn't last.   I only managed to record a few programmes and all the same problems started up again.   By the next day it was hardly responding and a day later was doing nothing at all.   I have thrown in the towel and bought a new machine.   I felt that the cost of a repair and the hassle of getting it to an agent far from my home wasn't worth the risk that it might all happen again.   My days with Sony Support are over but I thought I had better update in case anyone else thought that the format idea had been a total success.

retselkim
Explorer

I have the same problem first reported over a year ago in that my HDX870 is now stuck/locked in update mode (15 May 2014). I have read the old posts and tried the suggested fixes but none have worked.

Was there a resolution to the problem I may have missed? (Only joined forum today)

rassilon

Today, Friday 23rd May 2014, it looks like the same problem has reappeared this afternoon around 5pm.

No channels - or a channel will appear for about 10 seconds and then the screen goes black.

Unfortunately it's happened again on a Friday afternoon so we might have a rainy bank holiday weekend unable to watch TV or any pre-recorded programs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Currently there are no other reports on this forum, or other social media forums that people use.  At this stage, it may therefore just be an issue isolated to you.

Could it be a reception issue?  A Re-tune maybe?

Goto : http://www.ukfree.tv  and input your postcode into the box, and check to see if there are any reported issues with your local transmitter.  Also check the comments section on the site under your transmitter, as others may be having issues as well, and may not officially be recognised yet.

Thats all I can suggest at the moment.

Cheers

Alexander-C

Nope, it's not just isolated to rassilon, I'm having exactly the same problem as well as of today. Was working ok yesterday, today no channels or a channel will appear for about 10 seconds and then the screen goes black. EPG colour sceme is all messed up also, pretty much the same thing that happened last year in this thread HERE.

Unplugging at the wall and a hard reset have made no difference.

I was pretty unimpressed when this happened last year. I'm even more unimpressed that it's happened again...

fragglebabe
Explorer

Hi All,

Wondering if any of you are experiencing the same problems as last July - no digital channels, no EPG etc - today, 23rd May 2014, even after having upgraded the firmware to 1.70 as directed by Sony last July?

I have the 1.70 firmware update, my RDR-HXD870 box has been working as normal for 10 months, including just yesterday when I recorded several programs. Today, I come home from work and there are no digital channels (or they very briefly appear, freeze and then disappear) and the EPG guide doesn't work either. I have temporarily used the France retuning fix, so that I can do manual tuning, but even that disappears after switching the box off.

Is anyone else having the same problem? Can anyone help me with an update or some sign that Sony are aware of the problem?

Many thanks, Fragglebabe.