Join now - be part of our community!

Upgrade HomeTheatre system

SOLVED
borgja_jcc

Upgrade HomeTheatre system

Hi, 
some years ago, I bought a HT-SF2000 speakersystem from Sony, and this is turning obsolete.
I'm planning to upgrade my system, but will do so gradually.

What I'm thinking is to start with a new receiver, and am looking at STR-DH740.
Is it harmful connect my speakers from the HT-SF2000 to a new receiver such as this one, regarding impedance, power and so forth?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Firstly, the speakers are designed from a home theatre system, therefore you will need to cut the end of the connectors off (or use new speaker wire) to connect it to the AV Receiver.

Secondly, the specs of the speakers are rated at 3Ohm where-as the Receiver output is 6Ohms.  This is the problem.  You will be pushing the speakers harder than what they were designed for, and either blow the speakers or the Receiver may overheat. 

So basically, the answer is NO!  I would not do it.  The speakers have been designed for a different system and task.  Upgrading the system gradually is fine, but you might be better off not connecting it together until you have all the parts. 

One of my sayings is : Do it Once, Do it Right.

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Firstly, the speakers are designed from a home theatre system, therefore you will need to cut the end of the connectors off (or use new speaker wire) to connect it to the AV Receiver.

Secondly, the specs of the speakers are rated at 3Ohm where-as the Receiver output is 6Ohms.  This is the problem.  You will be pushing the speakers harder than what they were designed for, and either blow the speakers or the Receiver may overheat. 

So basically, the answer is NO!  I would not do it.  The speakers have been designed for a different system and task.  Upgrading the system gradually is fine, but you might be better off not connecting it together until you have all the parts. 

One of my sayings is : Do it Once, Do it Right.

Hope that helps

borgja_jcc

Thanks for your reply.
If my old speakers blow out, I would probably just shrug my shoulders and buy the rest I want, so that's not an issue :wink:

What would really suck, is if my newbought receiver would kick the bucket, then I would be mad! 

I'm considering som Dali speakers for my new system, Dali Zensor 3. Some say that STR-DH740 might not be strong enough for Dali speakers. Is this true?

Anonymous
Not applicable

To be honest, without doing quite a bit of research, I do not know.  But depending on budget constainst or requirements, have you looked into a 5.1 speaker package?  As your Sub will need replacing too.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ive had a look into it as I cant sleep.

AV Receiver     Speakers       Match (yes/no)

Ohm Rating           6                       6                 Yes

Power                 145W              25-125W         Yes, as Receiver should be higher than speaker

Therefore Dali Zensor 3 speakers are fine.

borgja_jcc

Wow, I'm amazed. 
You actually couldn't sleep and went your way to investigate this for me! :grin:

Many thanks coming your way, I might go for these speakers soon, together with either STR-DH740 or STR-DN1040. Thanks again for your effort :slight_smile: