Join now - be part of our community!

Xbox One 5.1 Optical Surround Sound Problems - Sony HT-RT4 - No Rear Speaker Audio

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Hicksi1
New

Xbox One 5.1 Optical Surround Sound Problems - Sony HT-RT4 - No Rear Speaker Audio

​Hey Team,

I need some help, I think after scanning the web its my physical hardware set up that is prohibiting 5.1 surround sound. But I can't find the exact answer.

Problem: I am getting a test tone on all speakers, however I get no audio on the rear surround speakers playing games and films or running a streaming 5.1 test video. 

Set up:

Xbox one

Sony HT-RT4 5.1 system (supports DTS + Dolby)

Xbox>>Optical>>Sony HT-RT4

Xbox>>HDMI>>Epson EH-TW5300 Projector 

From what I gather the ideal option is to use an AMP/AR in-between the xbox HDMI and the projector and use standard speakers cables etc (traditional system)... In my situation the Sony HT-RT4 has Analogue input/HDMI ARC/Optical. I think my system wants to have the Xbox>>HDMI>>TV>>OPTICAL>>Sony HT-RT4 however Im not using a TV I'm going straight to the projector with an HDMI, so this leaves me to connect the Xbox optical output straight into the HT-RT4.

I've tried selecting DTS/Dolby/Enabling surround sound for HDMI even though I'm not using this.

I have a feeling my only option is to send the HT-RT4 back and buy an AMP set up. Am I doing anything wrong? Or is this current set up not going to work?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Hicksi1
New

​**SOLVED**

So turns out you don't need a TV to act as a hub/AR with these Sony HT cinema sound systems. The xbox one will output 5.1 through the optical and the Sony HT-RT4 will pick up and play all the channels correctly.

Both Bitstreams DTS + Dolby work fine.

**BE AWARE**

I was trying to test the 5.1 surround sound on several platforms giving me incorrect results:

- Youtube DOES NOT PLAY IN 5.1 (5.1 test videos etc...)

- Plex Media Streaming (Make sure the film/video you are playing is streaming with a 5.1 audio track, NOT AAC Stereo etc..

To confirm my 5.1 surround sound i used a BlueRay Disc with 5.1 Dolby on the back of the case. I also used Netflix streaming with films streamed in 5.1 audio.

Hope this helps someone out there!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Hicksi1
New

​**SOLVED**

So turns out you don't need a TV to act as a hub/AR with these Sony HT cinema sound systems. The xbox one will output 5.1 through the optical and the Sony HT-RT4 will pick up and play all the channels correctly.

Both Bitstreams DTS + Dolby work fine.

**BE AWARE**

I was trying to test the 5.1 surround sound on several platforms giving me incorrect results:

- Youtube DOES NOT PLAY IN 5.1 (5.1 test videos etc...)

- Plex Media Streaming (Make sure the film/video you are playing is streaming with a 5.1 audio track, NOT AAC Stereo etc..

To confirm my 5.1 surround sound i used a BlueRay Disc with 5.1 Dolby on the back of the case. I also used Netflix streaming with films streamed in 5.1 audio.

Hope this helps someone out there!

profile.country.GB.title
skydiver81
New

did anybody manage to get surround sound on the xbox one youtube app?

I have a sony ht-rt3 sound system, and dolby 5.1 works on games, prime video and netflix but not with the youtube app. Some people on internet forums say, it works on their xboxes with youtube... 

So should it work?

i have an optical cable from my tv to the soundsystem, xbox settings to bitstream and dolby digital

I tested serveral youtube videos, but always stereo.. i even looked up whether the videos are in 1080p because i read, that only HD Videos or better can have dolby sound

Any ideas?