Android TV: Voice search

profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius
13,754  Views

Voice Search

Sony's Android-based TV line-up supports voice recognition functionality. This feature, called "Voice Search", allows users to input commands into their TV by using their voice.  

Our Touchpad remote is an optional accessory that's compatible with Voice Search. However, you must pair your Touchpad remote or your 2016 TV remote to your Sony's Android TV before it will work. Once these steps have been completed, there are two ways to activate voice commands on your TV:

1. On your remote control, press the microphone button. You will then be taken directly to the Voice Search screen. The LED on the remote will light up showing that the Voice Search function has been activated; then speak into the built in microphone.
  2. Using your Touchpad remote control:
    • Go to the HOME screen.
    • Use the touchpad on your remote to move up until you reach the microphone icon and press/tap the touchpad.
    • Dictate your commands into the remote.

Voice Search on Sony's Android TV allows you to the following options:

• Voice Search: e.g. Pancakes, Romantic comedies, Oscar winners, etc.
    A list of relevant content and apps will appear on-screen.
  • Voice Question: e.g. Who is the president of Italy?, What time is it in London?, What is 24,000 divided by 7? etc.
    The answer will appear on-screen.
  • Voice Control: e.g. HDMI 1, Open YouTube, etc.
    The following input/app will be activated.

Notes:

• Sony's Android TV requires an Internet connection to use Voice Search
  • When you press the microphone button on your Touchpad or activate it through the Voice Search icon, the feature will only stay on for a few moments before automatically switching off. You can tell when the Voice Search option is activated as the microphone icon or your screen will be red (for record), and the LED on your remote will be on.
  • Voice Search does not support web browsing. It specifically aggregates content from Youtube and supplied in the Google Play Store. The search also includes apps which have some affiliation with Google. You can view/adapt the content linked to Voice Search by using the following menu path: [Home] > [Settings] > [System Preferences - Search] > [Searchable apps]
  • You can also use the Voice Search on smartphones via the TV SideView app. To use this function, you must switch to the text search mode once.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is Voice Search?
A: The Voice Search function allows users to input queries or commands to their TV by using their own voice.

Q: How does Voice Search work?
A: Google's pattern recognition software translates the user's spoken utterances/speech into a format that the system can understand.

Q: What hardware supports Voice Search?
A: All of Sony's Android-based TVs have Voice Search pre-installed.

Q: Why should I use Voice Search?
A: Voice Search enables users to search or input commands into the TV without the use of a remote control, offering a quicker, more seamless user experience.

Q: Do I have to use Voice Search?
A: No, the decision to use the feature or not is entirely up to you.

Q: How do I know when I'm using Voice Search?
A: By selecting the microphone icon in the quick search bar or in the virtual keyboard. The microphone icon will change from blue to red and the LED on your Touchpad remote will be switched on, indicating Voice Search is ready to receive your query or command.

Q: Why is it necessary for Google to store my audio data?
A: To improve the accuracy of the pattern recognition software and overall quality of service.

Q: Will it store information like my Google Account ID?
A: No, stored audio data does not contain your Google Account ID unless you choose to include it.

Q: Will my information be passed on to 3rd parties?
A: No, sensitive and personal information is stored on Google's servers, and will not be passed on to 3rd parties without the user's consent.

Q: Where can I find out more on Google's privacy policy?
A: You can find out more on Google's Privacy Policy page.

3 Comments