Join now - be part of our community!

How to: set up your PS4 Pro with your home entertainment system

profile.country.GB.title
scully99
37,536  Views

Want to enjoy even more dramatic game play on your PS4? Want to use PS4 for HDR video streaming? Find out how to connect it to your 4K HDR home entertainment system, for the best possible audio and visual quality.

PS4_Main.jpg

PS4 requirements for HDR

PS4 Pro is compatible with HDR, a technology that delivers more realistic picture quality thanks to its wider range of detail and colour. To enjoy its potential, you need:

- a premium high-speed HDMI cable that supports 18Gbps
- a 2K or 4K HDR-capable TV that supports the HDR10 format
- HDR source content – i.e. an enabled game or video streaming platform.

Your PS4 also needs to be updated to system software 4.0 or later. This adds HDR to your PS4 settings.

How do I connect my PS4 to a TV and soundbar/AV receiver ?

Using a premium high-speed HDMI cable, you’ll need to plug your PS4 directly into the TV to enjoy HDR.

If you’re using a soundbar or AV receiver, connect it to the PS4 PRO via any supported port* – then connect the soundbar/receiver to the HDMI 3 (ARC port) on the TV.

*varies by model.

Which TV input do I need to connect my PS4 Pro to?

Check this list for your Sony TV model/year. It tells you if your TV is HDR-compatible, as well as which HDMI inputs support 4K and HDR. 

Which settings do I need to apply on my TV and PS4 Pro?

On your TV, choose Enhanced format for the best picture quality. To find it:

- Press the HOME button on the remote control and select Settings
- Choose External inputs in the TV category
- Select HDMI signal format and set to Enhanced.

Not every HDMI terminal supports 4K HDR, so if in doubt, check this list to enjoy both 4K and HDR (from a 4K HDR source).

On your PS4, go to the Video Output Information screen. Choose Settings, then Sound and Screen, then Video Output Settings. Here, set the HDR and Deep Color output settings to Automatic.

Which picture mode should I use on the TV?

The picture mode will automatically switch to ‘HDR Gaming’. If not, you can select this mode manually.

What is the recommended audio setting if I use a PS4 Pro with a TV and soundbar/AV Receiver?

This depends on your soundbar/receiver model. For many of our soundbars, e.g. our new ZF9 and XF9000 models, there is a dedicated Game Studio mode. This mode optimises dialogue for clarity and reproduces the feeling of movement and distance from objects, so you can enjoy a more immersive gaming experience!

What should I do if my soundbar/receiver can’t pass through HDR signals?

Connect the PS4 Pro directly to the TV, then connect the soundbar or AV Receiver via HDMI 3 (ARC).