Join now - be part of our community!

Cannot enable LTE on Xperia SP C5303

BW1
Visitor

Cannot enable LTE on Xperia SP C5303

Hi - I have an unbranded Xperia SP C5303 and I've recently taken out a SIM-only plan with Three UK.  Although I have a 4G enabled SIM, I cannot see the 4G/LTE option in the phone settings.  If I put my SIM card into an Xperia Z1, I can see the option and successfully connect to the 4G signal.  My phone is still on Android 4.1.2.  I used the Sony online chat support, but they didn't know why I can't see the 4G option, and suggested I do a 'repair' using PCC, but I'd really prefer not to do that, because I don't trust that it will properly restore all of my data.  Has anyone else had this issue?

59 REPLIES 59
blackbox
Contributor

Some UK networks have LTE disabled in the firmware. You have two options - one, wait for Sony's update or flash one of the available ftf files (the Australian unbranded .266 is a good bet).

I think 3 are the last to roll out 4g in the uk, so that may have something to do with it.
blackbox
Contributor

@xperia_sp_user

You could also look at the 3 community forum. I seem to remember seeing a long thread on this over there.
Xperia_SP_User
Visitor

Hi All,

On other forums, users of different brands of phones had reported changing the SIM fixed their issues.  I visited a 3 store today and got them to do a SIM exchange.  This did not solve the problem.  As previously reported, it is looking like the only options are to wait for an update from Sony or to update the phone from an unofficial software release :(.  Hopefully this is being investigated and a resolution will be reached shortly.

blackbox
Contributor

You can upgrade with an official release - I've been using the official unbranded Australian version on my UK EE handset for a few weeks with no major issues (incoming calls sometimes go to speaker by default, but that's about it).

It's easy enough to downgrade again if you have problems - just be sure to backup your important stuff before you start.

Xperia_SP_User
Visitor

Hi All,

Thanks to Sony for checking into this issue and responding.  The official reponse that I received was that LTE does not work with SIM Free devices on the 3 Network.  This will be addressed in a software update.

Looking on the forum tonight, and on Sony's support page, it appears that a new update is rolling out.  Does anybody know how to get this update?  I've checked via the mobile and also using PC Companion, but there appears to be no update available.

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/software/phones/xperia-sp/

blackbox
Contributor

@Xperia_SP_User wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks to Sony for checking into this issue and responding.  The official reponse that I received was that LTE does not work with SIM Free devices on the 3 Network.  This will be addressed in a software update.

Looking on the forum tonight, and on Sony's support page, it appears that a new update is rolling out.  Does anybody know how to get this update?  I've checked via the mobile and also using PC Companion, but there appears to be no update available.

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/software/phones/xperia-sp/

The new firmware has already rolled out to a fairly large percentage of unbranded handsets, and it certainly looks like unbranded are very much first in line this time.

I can't imagine there'll be much of a delay in getting to unbranded UK handsets this time around - initial feedback has been nearly all good, so no good reason to delay.

Then again, Three are advertising "4G at no extra cost", so they're probably not falling over themselves to get LTE enabled.

Someone has already uploaded an ftf for the Swiss unbranded...

XperiaNow
Visitor

I have unbranded unlocked Xperia SP C5303 bought in Croatia (where I live) in summer 2013.

Until November 2013 I was able to use LTE on my Xperia SP since my carrier / operator was testing 4G. I can't remember what exact firmware version (it was 4.1.2 but 1.257 or 2.254) I was using then. Now I'm using Android 4.3 .266 firmware (CE3 1272-3354 version) and I can't use LTE anymore. My carrier offered a plan option for use of LTE and I paid for it but I'm unable to use it.  The carrier customer service checked my status and everything was ok. I even went to their service center and replaced the SIM card for a new one. Nothing helped. I can enable LTE in the settings of my mobile phone but I cannot use it. The moment Xperia SP tries to use LTE it reverts back to 3G or displays no signal bars and red "x" mark above bars. Of course there is plenty of LTE signal and everything is ok on the carrier's side because other people are able to use LTE in my vicinity.

There are two solutions to this problem:

1.) To downgrade the current firmware to an earlier version although I cannot find CE3 1272-3354 version of 4.1.2

2.) To take the phone to the Sony center fo checkup.

I'm sick and tired of this mobile phone. This is my worst mobile phone I ever owned.

Tags (1)
XperiaNow
Visitor

I downgraded the firmware in my Xperia SP to 4.1.2 (12.0.A.1.257 CE1 1272-3352), and situation with LTE didn't improve. Then I upgraded the firmware OTA to 12.0.A.2.254 CE1 1272-3352 (approx. 70 MB MB) and, again, LTE didn't work. After that I upgraded the firmware OTA to 12.1.A.0.266 CE1 1272-3352 (approx. 405 MB) and this version didn't help in solving the problem either. Finally I returned my original firmware 12.1.A.0.266 CE3 1272-3354 which I had in a backup folder on my PC and the situation remained the same.

Conclusion: firmware is not the cause of this problem with LTE.

I really don't know why LTE suddenly stopped working.

Any ideas?

ChiisG
Visitor

What you have tried will not work,

Why?

Well because the problem is both the 3uk sim and the phone's fireware.

In my opinion this is the situation - Three uk (3 uk) checks out the firmware on most new phones as they come out for several reasons, one of them and probably the most important reason is to see how they can brand the phones to their advantage i.e. so they can control what users can do on the phones even when the phone are non 3uk branded, so in the case of simfree or unbranded phones, there is very likely code on the sim that looks for Three (3) branding code on the phone's firmware and when the two match or do not match depending on the logic of the code comparison, LTE is then turned off automatically.

I posted this (see below) on ono of the 3uk blogs and it was immediately taken down by 3uk mods because it the truth with regards to 3's attitude to it's customers and how they are treated and they do not want the 'truth' on their blogs, and as with most company and or businesses these day, the bottom line is money/profits, everything is done or not done to maximize profits for them alone and customer can moan as much as they want as that attitude is not going to change anytime soon. The bigger a company or business becomes the less they care because to them, if a few customer leave many more will come because they are that big.

In the meantime, we wait and from what i see, sony will have to come to the rescue of simfree/unbranded customers as they are the ones who we indirectly bought our phones from.

This is what i posted on the 3uk blog that was taked down by its mods --->>

"I have been watching this thread for sometime now without commenting and i have come up with these conclusions:-

(1). If you didnt buy your phone from Three or your phone is not locked to Three even though you are a Three contract customer, you will not be receiving 4G anytime soon, why? - well it's obvious -Three doesnt care about you because you never paid them for your phone.

(2). Three could have made their implementation of 4G simpler and easier like some other networks, but they chose to go the 'cheaper' route, for example with EE, you can get 4G if your phone is 4G enabled/ready without having to update your phone or wait for any software update.

(3). Three could have and can still decide to distribute their update to 4G onto their sim cards, but as it will cost them money to send new simcards out to alot of their customers, that's not a route they are willing to take.

(4). Most recent and 4G ready/enabled phones can receive 4G from other networks on their phones but not on Three, a simply way to test this is to -

- take your Three sim out of your phone and on boot without a sim card like most newish smart phone will let you do, you will see and be able to select the LTE option in your Mobile Data setting, but if you then put in your Three sim, and reboot, the LTE option disappears, so this shows that the 3G sim card you currently have is the problem.

- simply take out your Three sim and put in a EE sim and 4G will be available.

(5). When it comes to Three, its always the case, they try to control everything on your phone/device with their branding or have restrictions built into their sim cards.

(6). If you have a 4G ready/enabled phone that was never sold by Three, because it was never tested effectively by Three to allow it to work properly with their branding or are using one of those phones bought sim-free or factory unlocked from Amazon or the like, you will have a extra long long wait to get 4G on your phone, meanwhile Three is hoping that if you really want 4G, you will simply go ahead and maybe buy a 4G ready phone from them, so even though they say 4G is free to their customers, what they are not telling you and the public is - the provision of 3uk 4G will be free...but you will pay for it by either the frustration of waiting for ages for it because you bought your phone free from their branding or you will just have to go buy one of their branded 4G phones.

(7). The less Three (3uk) customers using their 4G network, the happier Three is, so they can then take their time to slowly fully upgrade their infrastructure to 4G without that much demand on their systems, whilst still claiming in all their ads that they too provide 4G for their customers, so they dont look like they are behind the 4G curve."

blackbox
Contributor

Yeah, what Three are doing really sux!

They advertise "4G at no extra cost", then do everything they can to delay you actually getting it. The whole 4G rollout has been a shambles in the UK  - the carriers have paid well over the odds for licensing, they all got p1ssed off when EE were allowed to roll out way ahead of everybody else and they're milking their old customers to the hilt to pay for the whole thing because 4G uptake hasn't been what they expected.

Luckily a simple manual  flash *will* get round Three's restrictions, but you really shouldn't have to. This guy did it yesterday with the Greek .201 and it worked.:

http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-SP/help/td-p/628133

@XperiaNow - I don't know what the situation is with your carrier, but it might be worth flashing .201 from another region.