Join now - be part of our community!

Re-establish Trusted device

SOLVED
RogerSawkins
Visitor

Re-establish Trusted device

I had the following exchange the other day which has now been marked “Assumed answered”, when it is not. I don’t know how to change that so I will start this new one and see if someone can help. The exchange went:

ME:

I have two laptops connected to a wireless modem. Previously they were both connected as trusted devices on my mobile. Mistakenly, I told the mobile to "forget" one of them. Now I can't reconnect it.

The instructions say to connect the phone by USB and the phone appears on the laptop. It then says "click Network Connection" (presumably on the laptop) but no such option appears. Nor is it on the phone. How do I reconnect as a "Trusted device"?

INSUFFICIENT REPLY:

Check if you're able to find the phone by going to Networks connections on your computer. Start menu Network connections.

Which Win OS are you running on?

ME:

I am on Windows 7. There is no "Network connections" under the Start menu. However, there is the "Network and Sharing Centre" which shows my network connections.

The phone doesn't appear anywhere there. However, it does appear as a "Portable device" under "Computer" in Windows Explorer, although that only allows me to access the internal memory.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
icyautobot
Visitor

try follow the steps shown in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc8p6Z4ZQ-k

turn off any firewall or external antivirus program you have in your laptop including windows firewall.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
icyautobot
Visitor

Can you please elaborate the pupose of connecting your mobile to your laptop because as you mentioned above you already have an access to your mobile's internal storage on your laptop via wifi.

RogerSawkins
Visitor

The problem is that I DON'T have wifi access between the computer and phone. Whereas I had it previously, I accidentally told the phone to forget it and now can't re-establish it.

icyautobot
Visitor

try follow the steps shown in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc8p6Z4ZQ-k

turn off any firewall or external antivirus program you have in your laptop including windows firewall.

RogerSawkins
Visitor

Thank you.

Roger

icyautobot
Visitor

If you are willing to turn on windows firewall in your laptop then you will have to work on two following firewall rules which needs to be enabled in public mode manually.

Steps ares as follows :

Goto control panel - system and security - windows firewall on the left side click on advanced settings.

There in inbound rules scroll down till end you will find a firewall rule Wireless Portable Devices (SSDP-In) by default rule is set to disabled which you can enable by right clicking on it and choosing Enable.

Second is in outbound rules scroll till the end you will find a rule Wireless Portable Devices (TCP-Out) enable it also then goto  properties - advanced - tick mark Public.

this two steps will help you connecting your mobile even if firewall is enabled while using Public profile.

LilSiS
Visitor

I connected both my laptops and desktop to my cell thru bluetooth. Remember if you delete something on one its deleted on all.Im running windows 7 and 10.