Join now - be part of our community!

3D problem through a PS3

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
goldenboot9
Visitor

3D problem through a PS3

I recently bought an NX723 with inbuilt 3D, and i also have a PS3 (160GB Slim console). I connected the two with a gold plated HDMI cable that the guy in the shop said would be necessary to view 3D. I then tried to play a 3D blu-ray DVD on the PS3. When I selected the 3D menu on the TV, I was given 4 options: Simulated 3D, Side by side, Over/under and turn 3D off. The simulated 3D seems to work, but it is not a great effect. When I try either the side by side or over/under the picture becomes distorted (either very wide or very tall). I am not sure if I am doing anything wrong, or I have not set it up correctly. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I could try?

11 REPLIES 11
julsadot
Visitor

I discovered a PS3 setup issue that caused 3d to fail when I connected my PS3 (old phat model) to my HX923.

The issue was in setting up the output properties of the PS3. To get 1 particular game to work (Battle of Midway), I had to drop the ouput screen mode (think the Display option) of the PS3 to 720p instead of relying on the Automatic setting that allows the PS3 to sense the available screen modes of the TV. When I did that, the game worked, but 3d via the PS3 stopped working. Resetting the PS3 output properties to Auto killed the game again but got 3d working again

If you're still having trouble watching 3d through the PS3, I would go into the output or display properties in the PS3 preferences/setup menu and set it to auto-sense the available TV screen options (even if it appears to already be set to that). Off-hand I can't remember the specific PS3 option, but I can confirm this evening when home if still required.

I should also add that if the output mode of the PS3 is incorrect, the whole setup will complain about needing 3d enabled/compatible hardware (even though both the TV and PS3 can handle 3d)

Rgds

Jules

p.s. My old PS3 is the fat version and has HDMI 1.3a, not version 1.4 as found on the newer slims. However, it is still perfectly happy displaying 3d. Reason I say all this....I doubt very much it's due to potentially not having a 1.4 version compatible HDMI cable (1.3 should be perfectly fine).

goldenboot9
Visitor

Just thought I would update the forum here to say that after updating the PS3 system settings to latest version, all the 3D issues have been resolved.

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions.