Join now - be part of our community!

Adding H.265 (HEVC) support to TV by firmware upgrade

SOLVED
xnemec
New

Adding H.265 (HEVC) support to TV by firmware upgrade

Hello.

It is possible to update the firmware of the new TVs Sony BRAVIA (KDL-40R474A) in the future so that it could work with video encoding H.265 (HEVC)? Is hardware capable to run this new codec?

Regards.
Jan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Highly unlikely that H.265 will be added to existing tv's due to a multiple of reasons.  One most likely is the hardware requirements - unless hardware accelerated decoding/playback, it will consume too much processing power. 

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Lalami1990
Explorer

Got a petition started here addressed to Sony:

I've sent out a few emails. One to customer services, another to the head office, another to the corporate headquarters in Japan for customer feedback. I doubt that I'm the only person doing this but hopefully this would get the ball rolling for us European owners. Hopefully you could all sign the petition and perhaps help spread the link around to other forums.

[EDIT] - Link to petition removed, Its against forum rules.

Anonymous
Not applicable
profile.country.GB.title
brutad
Explorer

well that is really bad news, no mores sony for me ... got two tv ... both of them had stuck pixels. first tv got dead/stuck pixels after 1,5 years, and second tv got dead pixels after 1 year...  and now this .. not able to update for codec... also i was extremely dissapointed when they ditched ps3 os...no more sony for me for sure.

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

If you search info on this argoment you will find that is the same for all brands, nobody will upgrade the Codec to HEVC (H.265) MAIN 10.

profile.country.GB.title
brutad
Explorer

Yeah, i know, still its no excuse for not doing so.. for me its not a problem to give some 20 bucks for decoder but that way i will have non elegant setup with multiple remote controllers... And sony doesn't have anything from it.. Even presents itself as bad support.. Meeeh i dont even care, tv's are waste of time and overrated, not important...p. S. What is firmware update used for than.? So they payed developer to make it for nothong.. Waste of money if u ask me.