Join now - be part of our community!

Appalling iPlayer interface performance

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
cs02rm0
Visitor

Appalling iPlayer interface performance

I've bought a Sony KDL55HX853 and the performance of the iPlayer interface is so appalling I can't believe it passed any quality assurance in this state.

Navigating around the menu options is virtually unusable when it can take 5-60 seconds for a button press to take effect - you never know whether it's received the previous press until you've gone and pressed the button again!

Please, tell me there's an obvious fix. I've checked for firmware updates, it's not related to my internet connection as (a) video plays at standard definition if I can ever get into watch anything and (b) it's just the interface of iPlayer, not the main interface or anywhere else. I've had the TV a couple of months and it's pretty much always been this bad.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Batfinkk

The iPlayer V3 that you have on the TV is now standard on all manufacturers devices as its controlled and mandated by the BBC themselves. Suprising that performance is especially laggy though - how is your TV connected to the Internet? Have you tried hardwiring it to see if performance improves? Might also be worth runnning a factory reset as well.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Batfinkk

The iPlayer V3 that you have on the TV is now standard on all manufacturers devices as its controlled and mandated by the BBC themselves. Suprising that performance is especially laggy though - how is your TV connected to the Internet? Have you tried hardwiring it to see if performance improves? Might also be worth runnning a factory reset as well.

cs02rm0
Visitor

Well that's bizarre.

Thanks; I disabled the wireless connection I was using and plugged it into a switch which still actually goes over wireless via a Netgear wnce2001 wireless bridge.

The performance difference is incredible, while I wouldn't say it's lightning fast it's more than acceptable! You've saved me an awful lot of headaches, much appreciated.

Catmambo
Contributor

Great - iPlayer is quite a heavy software footprint compared to other services so will always be a little bt slower than say Five or Lovefilm based on the Sony UI.

Glad its better - Could always checkout Homeplugs as another alternative means of connecting, if so inclined.

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
pb1965

I am also having this problem. Navigating around the iPlayer interface is very laggy. Having said that, navigating around all the smart tv features is a bit slow. My tv is connected via homeplugs and I'm getting around 30Mbps to it so I can't see that being an issue. I have also tried restoring my tv to its factory settings but that hasn't helped either. Any other ideas please?

niwhite39
New

What speed homeplugs have you got ? if they are 200 or 500 and they only connect at 30 it suggests interence or other issues. Tried it wired just to see if it is your homeplug setup causing the lag.

profile.country.GB.title
pb1965

I put 30Mbps in my original question because I knew it was atleast that figure. By the way, I was referring to the actual data throughput measured according to an non-flash based speedtest running in my Bravia's web browser.

Having done some further tests, I can tell you the homeplugs (Devolo 200Mbps devices) connect to each other at around 178Mbps according to the Devolo Cockpit software. However the speed measured using www.speedtest.net, running on my notebook connected to the homeplug next to the tv, shows a data rate of approx 57Mbps downstream and an upload speed of 16Mbps. Since my broadband connection gives an average speed of 70Mbps down and 18Mbps upstream, that doesn't sound too bad. So I'm doubting interference is an issue tho' who knows? But 57Mbps to the tv ethernet port should be far more than required...

I haven't been able to test connecting the tv directly to my BT Homehub 3 because I don't have a cable which is long enough I'm afraid. The router is upstairs and the tv is downstairs.

Message was edited by: pb1965

removed typos