Join now - be part of our community!

BBC I player not connecting

SOLVED
JSIDNEY1974
Explorer

BBC I player not connecting

I have a Sony 3d Bravia TV 40". Ref - KDL40HX803U. I have purchased an internet connector as it is not a fully Internet TV but a part Internet TV. It comes with things like I player, demand 5 etc. in the last couple of days when trying to load I player. It states cannot connect to the server, please retry. Is it a problem with the TV or the I player. All the other internet options appear to work, Can anyone come up with a suggestion of how to fix this that would be greatly appreciated!!

I have a tablet not sony that the I player works on. However I want to fix it that it works on my TV.

Thanking anyone kindly in advance for any help they can give me.

Kind Regards

James Sidney
112 REPLIES 112
profile.country.en_GB.title
runner_bean
Explorer

Is there a new problem??  My KDL 37EX403 has updated successfully and initially seemed to work OK, but in the last two days I have experienced iPlayer problems when I access BBC2 Wimbledon programmes.

With my 7Mbps broadband I can normally use the 'Higher Quality' selection for iPlayer and get excellent results, but on Monday Wimbledon footage only played in HQ for about two seconds before iPlayer took me back to the programme selection step.  I reselected the programme with 'Standard Quality' and it worked OK.

Today I have tried to view the Monday's BBC2 Wimbledon footage and it plays for only about two seconds in either 'quality' mode.  It's a 600 minute programme and I'm wondering whether there isn't a new bug that prevents large data files being loaded...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

There are NO reported issues with BBC iPlayer at this moment in time.  Therefore at this stage, it can only be assumed that the problem is at your end (unless others can also confirm issues).

Can you please to a speedtest of your broadband connection from a PC.  This could either rule-out or confirm a line issue.  http://www.speedtest.net/

Are you using a wireless dongle or directly connected to the router via an ethernet cable?  If wireless, try testing with a cable. 

Try rebooting your ISPs router as well.

All else fails, perform a factory reset of the TV, as this may clear out any issues.

See how that goes

Cheers

profile.country.en_GB.title
runner_bean
Explorer

Thanks for the feedback.  I have run the speed test and get 7.14Mbps download speed (as expected).  I actually use PowerLine modules (ex BT) to link my HomeHub router to the TV.  The Sony TV itself doesn't seem to have a speed test built in but a further (Hitachi) TV I have Power Line connected at a more distant part of the house gives 3Mbps+ when I test it which is easily good enough for 'Standard' quality iPlayer.  I will do a test of actual speed at the Sony using a laptop when I have time.

Further information: 

• The (almost brand new) Hitachi TV also failed to render the BBC2 Day 7 11:30 am Wimbledon content (continuous download marker) BUT in the end I was able to use the iPlayer app on an old Android tablet running JellyBean with a weak WiFi connection and an HDMI connection to my Sony to watch the material (Murray match against Anderson) without problems.  But what a lot of trouble!
  • I have rebooted my HomeHub and retried this morning and the problem remains.  Two seconds of video then back to 'Loading...' with the Wimbledon content.  Tried watching another programme (Dolly Parton at Glastonbury) in 'High Quality' - perfect.  Also tried yesterday's Wimbledon content (Day 😎 - same problem - it crashes.  It's something about the Wimbledon content - I suspect length.
  • Haven't time right now to Factory Reset the TV but will try that in a day or two and get back to you.

Really wanted to be able to see the tennis so I hope there is a fix!!

profile.country.GB.title
theracles

That's another gripe I have with "Auntie"!

I was searching in vain through the empty corridors of the BBC Website for the BBC iPlayer speed checker after the link I had stored in "Favorites" failed to connect.

I finally found out a couple of days ago that they had abandoned it! :anguished:

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

@theracles - thanks for the info!

profile.country.GB.title
theracles

You're welcome jumpsuit, I did find a similar speed checker at "Thinkbroadband":- Speed Test

It's a little more than a simple packet transmission and "sort of" serves to show if your connection is up to streaming HD.

I can't follow the Beeb's logic on this (and many other things!) since I don't think there are any other tools that do this specific job.

For those of us who don't have Fibre, this was a necessary piece of kit to have in your arsenal...and I'm looking at you TalkTalk! :rolling_eyes:

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

I'm currently thinkng of escaping TalkTalk's clutches.

Shocking speeds and a dodgy router. :slight_frown:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@runner_bean 

Its interesting that the Dolly Parton video played fine.  It could very well be the Wimbledon content.  How long was the Dolly Parton Video?  

Can you test other types of BBC content to see if that is also effected?

Also, try lowering the quality of the video footage in the settings (I think there is a setting for it) - Lower quality might be better than nothing at all?

It 'could' be due to the TV having a limited memory buffer, but that should clear itself via input/output use anyhow.  Interesting that the other TV also presents a problem.

If others reading this have a 2010 TV, can you test Wimbledon content to see if it works on your TV (might just help runner_bean)

If it really is just the Wimbledon content, its highly unlikely it will be resolved in time before it finishes (Sunday?)

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

TalkTalk - I have had a pretty good run with talktalk lately - no real complaints to be honest.  Would like an updated router though - want gigabit ethernet ports (might need to buy my own :smileyworried:) A couple of months time, Ill negotiate contract via their retentions dept again !

Too bad BBC's speed checker is gone - never used it though :slight_smile: