Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia 40ex723 and usb drive

profile.country.en_GB.title
bohboh
Visitor

Bravia 40ex723 and usb drive

I have a 300gb seagate external hard drive. I have formatted it as fat32 yet the tv wont recognise it. I have seen from the compatibility list that it only has sony own hard drives listed. Does this mean I cannot use "any" usb hard drive?

Tags (3)
29 REPLIES 29
profile.country.hr_HR.title
DamacizSi
Visitor

HDD slould not be partioned and should be plug in on his own power suplly. Best way is Western Digital up to 3,5   1 or 2 TB. This model will be good for recording, with HDD Registration.

Regards

Damac

:slight_smile:

bohboh
Visitor

When I plug in my hdd into the hdd recorder usb socket, it recognises it and formats it. Does this suggest that the tv has support for my drive?

My drive isnt partitioned and has its own power supply.

DamacizSi
Visitor

If is reckognised, then is everything fine.

Also you have to register the USB-HDD to on your TV. 
   "Home" -> "System Settings" -> "Recording Set-up" -> "HDD Registration"

Recording to HDD will be avilable with new firmware update which come in few weeks.

R

Damac

bohboh
Visitor

Thats my point, it isnt being recognised.

There are two usb sockets, one for playing video files, the other for recording. When I plug my hdd into the one for playing video files and go to "Home->Videos" I just get the help page. It isnt recognising the hdd.

Yet when I plug the same drive into the usb socket for recording, it recoginses it (once i register it).

So if the TV has the ability to recognise it for recording. why wont it find it for playing video files?

DamacizSi
Visitor

Well, I can tell You that function HDD REC is just for recording from TV to HDD, and You will be able to do so after FW udate, we are expacting soon. For this is needed registration, as we mentioned before. You can then play and whatch this recorded content from Your HDD JUST on Your one and same TV.

Otherweis I understund You. You was like to play and whatch Your some video or movie recorded on HDD much before You even have Bravia, and usual You could but not from this allready registrated  HDD, now.

So, You could actually deregistrate it and when You connect to usb socket and come point where You will be asked to registrate, to skip it...I mean to not registar HDD, and continue to go to play it.

You could do so with some other HDD, allso. I see You have reckognised that is needed not to be partitioned, in FAT32  and have hisone power supply.

I have to tell You allso that Sony does not garranty work with every HDD, but things going like described.

What ever You decide to do, let as know, with relevant datas.

Regards

Damac

bohboh
Visitor

Yes, this is to play videos I have from before, e.g. family videos from my video camera.

I have tried it as you describe, de-register and plug into video usb its but still not working.

I still cannot understand why it is recognised when I register it for recording but not recognised when I de-register and try using for video playing.

DamacizSi
Visitor

I know, mybe it will take bit time to solve it. Tell as format of the fails You have on HDD. Use Mediainfo.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en/Download

Regards

Damac

bohboh
Visitor

Can you confirm that I am doing this correctly?

1. Format hdd as fat32, no partitions.

2. Copy a video file (.avi) to the hard disk

3. Plug into the usb socket at the rear of the TV, at the top (it has a "1" in the logo)

4. Go to "Home->Videos".

Is this correct?

DamacizSi
Visitor

I think Your problem is fail format, so please see attached supported fail formats with extension via USB for new Bravia.

Regards

Damac