Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia IPTV and You View (Project Canvas)

profile.country.en_GB.title
KDL-22PX300
Visitor

Bravia IPTV and You View (Project Canvas)

From my current understanding of both platforms they appear to do pretty much the same thing.

When the You View set top boxes launch in 2011 do Sony see it as a competitor to Bravia Internet TV or something separate.

Does Bravia IPTV have the technical ability to match anything You View will be able to do.

4 REPLIES 4
Catmambo
Contributor

Interesting question :slight_smile: Having written Sony's response to Project Canvas, its a bit of a strange beast. It doesn't have much support from A brands in the CE space as it mandates things that simply aren't in the companies best interests.

Indeed, in many ways BRAVIA can technically do everything that YouView can do, without the need for a separate box ( consumers generally prefer integrated solutions) . There are a lot of rumblings on the grapevine that one of the Canvas partners wants out from the consortium also.  Its a shame as CE Industry were pushing for an open standard to be agreed on, much like HbbTV in France and Germany, but the broadcasters pushed ahead with Canvas thus the outlook is a little fragmented.

Thanks

KDL-22PX300
Visitor

"consumers generally prefer integrated solutions" Indeed we do.

I suspect the takeup of the You View platform is going to be quite low much lower than already tiny FreeviewHD take up.

FreeviewHD manufactures really missed the ball (pun intended) this year - what a disasterous scramble to get a working box out in time for the World Cup.

Catmambo
Contributor

Mindful that the majority of TV's that we sell are Freeview HD enabled, takeup has been pretty robust, mindful of the recession and DSO still not complete. Certainly in terms of a PVR's there are very few on the market - although my friends at Fetch TV make a pretty decent one.

Issue is that the silicon for Freeview HD wasn't available until very late - Indeed Sony were first to launch a Freeview HD TV in March as far as I'm aware.

The big issue that YouView boxes will suffer from is that it will be perceived as just another STB and will sit on a shelf in the retailer without really explaining what it does differently. Besides which I don't think its going to be particularly cheap either

KDL-22PX300
Visitor

I agree the You View box price is proberly going to be too far north.

Which is why I am hoping Bravia Internet TV will continue to expand on content and hopefully remain compatable with my chosen model.

Yes I was aware of the "chip" shortage but I already had a Humax Fox T2.