Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia KDL-42W829B audio PASS-THROUGH

profile.country.GB.title
efiste2
Explorer

Bravia KDL-42W829B audio PASS-THROUGH

Is my SONY KDL-42W829B capable of passing through and audio signal, so that the AUDIO part of the A/V signal fed INTO the TV via the HDMI inputs, can be passed through to my home theatre system.

eg. I connect my Sony BD Player to my TV using an HDMI lead, to get the audio signal to my Home Theatre System, will my TV (KDL-42W829B) output the audio (passthrough) using an optical link or Digital Phono from the TV to the Home Theatre System.

Thanks for any advice

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Yes - If you connect your Bluray player directly to the TV, it will play the video on the TV screen, and output audio (if setup) via either HDMI-ARC or Optical to an external sound system. 

The only downside of this is that you cannot output the higher quality audio formats such as Dolby True HD or DTS-HDMA

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
efiste2
Explorer

Looking at the specs for the TV I think  the optical output will only pass 2 Channels do you know if is this correct ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Not quite correct, but this is from:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF

"S/PDIF can carry two channels of uncompressed PCM audio or compressed 5.1/7.1 surround sound (such as DTS audio codec); it cannot support lossless formats (such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio) that require greater bandwidth like that available with HDMI or DisplayPort."

Cheers