Join now - be part of our community!

Can no longer play BBC Iplayer content - System Memory Limit

profile.country.GB.title
gussie

Can no longer play BBC Iplayer content - System Memory Limit

I have a Sony KDL-42W705B running Firmware V3.004EUA purchased two years ago.

Cannot play CBBC iplayer content - always get error message "Internet download failed because content size exceeds system memory"

The BBC was supposed to have fixed this back in January - but I still have this issue.

Anyone have any ideas ?

68 REPLIES 68
profile.country.GB.title
mirrormask
Explorer

@Darbo25 wrote:

Same here with the Netflix issue,  very frustrating,  luckily I have other means of watching but it's a shame, it used to work great. 

I can watch Netflix on my laptop or tablet, ot I can attach the laptop to the TV, but neither are suitable alternatives to watching films on a 50" TV with Dolby 5.1 surround sound. The TV has a RED NETFLIX BUTTON on the remote! That kind of implies that it's possible to watch Netflix! :angry:

profile.country.GB.title
Darbo25

Have you tried refreshing Internet content?  Works sometimes. 

profile.country.GB.title
mirrormask
Explorer

@Darbo25 wrote:

Have you tried refreshing Internet content?  Works sometimes. 

Hi Darbo25. Yes, I tried that. I also tried a factory reset, which caused some downstream issues which I hadn't considered (pictures settings, planned recordings). No luck, sadly. I have a good wireless signal here, and other devices have no problems.

I've had the Netflix problem before, where it's fine until I start playing a programme, at which point it just drops back to broadcast TV. Usually, it works on the second attempt. This time it fails every time just after playback starts. The TV has a 5-year John Lewis warranty and is only 2 years old, but I really do not want to pursue that route. As soon as i've found the serial number, I'll contact Sony through the web site. i don't hold out much hope, though.

There was a software upgrade a couple of days ago. It is worse since that happened - i.e. Netflix now fails every time.

David

profile.country.GB.title
Darbo25

That's the same problem I'm having on 50w829, in losing a little faith in Sony these days,  a shame because I've always bought Sony but between this,  my amp, my blu ray player and my phone in starting to think of looking elsewhere in the future. 

profile.country.GB.title
monpay123
Explorer

After many months of having problems with watching iplayer on my sony bravia tv, this week I finally received the final nail in the coffin when I went back into iplayer and received the message that "BBC no longer supports my device"!

I then contacted sony support and was told to my amazement that it's not their problem and I have to deal with BBC myself as it's them who have withdrawn their application.  Although technically sony may be right but nevertheless you would expect a multi-national company such as sony to have approached BBC themselves and come up with a solution such as installing a device to upgrade the existing tv sets to enable them to continue receiving iplayer but I'm afraid none of that.  Very disappointed with sony.

Does anyone have any suggestions what I could do now to receive iplayer on my sony tv?  My tv model is Sony KDL-40CX523.  I belive it's 2012 made.  Thanks.

profile.country.GB.title
mirrormask
Explorer

As I type this, my kdl-50w705b is frozen. I was watching the France 24 app and tried to exit, but it wouldn't. No remote control buttons do anything. My feeling is that a lot of problems are caused by either an underpowered processor or lack of RAM. In a minute I'll just take the power plug out of the back and make a cup of tea.

In good news, I managed to watch Sense8 on Netflix and the Film Review on BBC iPlayer. For some unknown reason, the telly had recovered from yesterday and decided to start working again. Until it froze, of course.

In response to Monpay123, buy a NowTV box for 15 quid. It has all the catchup TV apps, but not Netflix, and works really well. Plus you get 3 months free access to Sky box sets. I'm told the apps still work even if you cancel your NowTV subscription.

profile.country.GB.title
monpay123
Explorer

Thank you mirrormask for your advice.  Is there any particular tv box I should buy, name, type, etc? I basically want to be able to watch BBC iplayer on my sony tv.  and I don't mean via the internet cos the internet browser on sony tv is extremely slow and takes ages to load up.  thanks.

profile.country.GB.title
mirrormask
Explorer

Hi Monpay123, I bought my NowTV box from Sainsburys for £15. You can get them from Argos for the same price.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4146678

It streams TV via your wireless network and includes Demand5, All4, iPlayer, Sky News, ITV Hub and others. You get a free 3 month Entertainment Pass. Check out the link. You connect it to your TV with an HDMI lead. It's a very responsive little box. The only downside is lack of subtitles for the hard of hearing, which I tend to use everywhere else.

profile.country.GB.title
monpay123
Explorer

Hello mirrormask,

Many thanks for your advice.  I bought the NOW TV box from Argos yesterday and connected it up and it is great!  It has even speeded up my Sky satellite TV channels when I flick between them.  Very good solution. Interesting that Sony support team couldn't offer any solutions when I contacted them! I guess they didn't want to advertise other people's products.

Kind regards

monpay123

profile.country.GB.title
mirrormask
Explorer

Hi monpay123

There's no way a NowTV box can affect your Sky channels. In fact, if I'd known you had Sky I might not have recommended it as you're duplicating channels. But if you're happy with it, fine! :slight_smile:

David