Join now - be part of our community!

Can no longer play BBC Iplayer content - System Memory Limit

profile.country.GB.title
gussie

Can no longer play BBC Iplayer content - System Memory Limit

I have a Sony KDL-42W705B running Firmware V3.004EUA purchased two years ago.

Cannot play CBBC iplayer content - always get error message "Internet download failed because content size exceeds system memory"

The BBC was supposed to have fixed this back in January - but I still have this issue.

Anyone have any ideas ?

68 REPLIES 68
profile.country.GB.title
Totallypissedoff
Explorer

Same with mine. Two years of BBC iplayer use then I start getting the message "file size exceeded the system memory limit" iplayer crashes.

It is not the BBC's fault it's the small memory size that Sony decided to fit to the Bravia. Rather than future proof the Bravia they opted to keep the production costs down.

Ther is no way round it, apart from buy your next smart TV from a forward looking company. :((((((

profile.country.GB.title
Darbo25

I'll be honest,  I've knocked Sony for a few things lately but being psychic isn't one of them,  if the BBC increase their memory requirement bottom line on iplayer it's hardly the fault of the manufacturer that had provided you with a means of watching iplayer for two years. 

davidauty47
Explorer

Where are replies to the problem of bbc iplayer  error message -internet download failed because content size exceed system memory limit . on sony bravia kdl42w705b

profile.country.GB.title
jimtyro
Explorer

Fair enough.

It would be nice if Sony would acknowledge the problem and give us their side of the situation - Sony markeing dept please note

I find it a bit hard to believe that only Sony TVs have this problem. Does anyone know if this is the case or have other makes come up with the same glitch?

Appledne
New

profile.country.GB.title
gussie

The BBC will not fix this for affected TVs, because they feel it is an enhancement to iPlayer performance for most users.

Sony cannot fix this because of hardware limitations on several of their TVs - they are hoping we will just go out and either buy another TV or a streaming set top box like Now TV.

This is the truth of the matter!

I have five year John Lewis warranties on both my affected  two year old Sony TVs - I will wait a little longer before I challenge John Lewis with two claims of "product not fit for purpose" - they and Sony will probably try to wriggle out of this - but I'll give it a go.

DO NOT BUY ANY SMART TV RELYING ON ITS SMART FUNCTIONALITY !!

Susanwood101
Explorer

Hi model number KDL 42W705B Sony TV. BBC Iplayer worked fine for 3 yrs but last few months the internet message on most catch up programmes please help.

profile.country.GB.title
253West
Explorer

I have same problem on KDL32W706B, used in our kitchen/diner. I have tried all solutions offered. This is getting very silly. I think TV was bought in 2014. I had to replace our main TV last month so I bought Panasonic. I will have to throw kitchen/diner Sony away and buy another Panasonic.

profile.country.GB.title
Adrian_here

Same problem here. This is not the only thread where this problem is being discussed. 

WHAT IS MISSING is any formal response from SONY to help their customers with the problem. Sony should be all over this issue and coming up with explanation and solutions so that these threads can be closed with a formal response.

profile.country.GB.title
Adrian_here

Just found this notification on the BBC iplayer FAQ page:

Why am I getting the message 'Internet download failed ... exceeds system memory' on my Sony TV?

We're aware that some people are seeing the error message 'Internet download failed because content size exceeds system memory' on their Sony TVs.

*** Update Friday 13 October ***

Whilst performance has improved for some viewers recently, we’re aware that others are still encountering this error. We are continuing to work with Sony to resolve this issue and we'll update this FAQ when we have more information.