Join now - be part of our community!

Can no longer play BBC Iplayer content - System Memory Limit

profile.country.GB.title
gussie

Can no longer play BBC Iplayer content - System Memory Limit

I have a Sony KDL-42W705B running Firmware V3.004EUA purchased two years ago.

Cannot play CBBC iplayer content - always get error message "Internet download failed because content size exceeds system memory"

The BBC was supposed to have fixed this back in January - but I still have this issue.

Anyone have any ideas ?

68 REPLIES 68
profile.country.GB.title
253West
Explorer

Not to worry. I have decided to junk thr Sony TV and buy a Panasonin in its place.

David
profile.country.GB.title
Darbo25

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy an Amazon fire stick or something similar, save yourself a few hundred quid, or would you be buying a Panasonic in protest? 

profile.country.GB.title
gussie

The deafening silence from Sony AND the moderators of this site speaks volumes!

Sony is no different from the other brand name and no-name manufacturers - in fact very few of them care about customers any more.

They all just want ti shift the latest product!

Is it really worth paying a premium for Sony products ???

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @gussie

Just to let you know,

Sony don't respond on these forums.

profile.country.GB.title
mirrormask
Explorer

There was an interview with a BBC rep on BBC Radio 4 'You and Yours' podcast, approx 17 minutes in. He said that TV's with embedded computers (i.e. smart TV's) will go the same way as any computer does and become unable to cope with the latest versions of software over time. He said anything five years or older is unlikely to be able to cope with BBC iPlayer any more.

profile.country.GB.title
Adrian_here

Here is the link to the BBC iplayer page where they discuss progress with fixing the fault:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/troubleshooting/tv-games-consoles/sony-memory-limit

profile.country.GB.title
gussie

Both my affected SonyTVs were purchased less than TWO years ago !

profile.country.GB.title
gussie

They have both been supposidly working to fix this since January - what makes you think this will ever be fixed?

Either the BBC downgrades their app or Sony recalls all affected TVs for modification.

NEITHER IS GOING TO HAPPEN !!!

profile.country.GB.title
253West
Explorer

I have just bought new Panasonic. Sony goes to charity.
profile.country.GB.title
Darbo25

Shame that,  they seem to have fixed it,  been working great now for a couple of weeks.