Join now - be part of our community!

Cannot update firmware on a Bravia KDL-37EX503

SOLVED
iancray
Explorer

Cannot update firmware on a Bravia KDL-37EX503

Hi. I have tried to connect my KDL-37EX503 to the interent but although it connects OK, it cannot find any servers. I checked the general settings and found that there is a new level of firmware available so have downloaded this onto a USB stick but when I follow the instructions and insert the USB stick into the slot on the TV, nothing happens. The TV just stays on whatever channel is selected. I really need to get the update done before looking deeper into the server problem especailly as I know it all worked OK about 3 years at my old house using an old repeater. Does the USB have to be a Sony make and what does it have to be formatted too. Thanks. Ian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool - give it another go.  But as I said above, you must follow the instructions exactly !

When you download the file, you must follow the instructions exactly:

1. When prompted, save the file to your Desktop. When the update download is complete, check that the file size is 37,893,995 bytes. To do this, right click the file, select properties and check the size in the General tab.
  2. Open Windows Explorer, locate the downloaded sony_tvupdate_2010_0531_eul_.zip, and unzip it. A folder called sony_dtv0FA00A00A0A0_00020100 will now be created in your local drive.
  3. Copy the folder to your USB device.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Note: Use a USB drive that is formatted as FAT32

The first thing you need to do is check to see if you actually already are on the latest firmware:

1. Turn on your TV and press the HOME button on the remote to display the Home Menu
  2. Navigate to Product Support category and press OK.
  3. Navigate to System Information and press OK.
  4. On the TV screen, the firmware version number should appear like this: PKG4.131EUL-0108- if the version number is PKG4.131EUL-0108 or higher you already have the most recent firmware

1. When prompted, save the file to your Desktop. When the update download is complete, check that the file size is 37,893,995 bytes. To do this, right click the file, select properties and check the size in the General tab.
  2. Open Windows Explorer, locate the downloaded sony_tvupdate_2010_0531_eul_.zip, and unzip it. A folder called sony_dtv0FA00A00A0A0_00020100 will now be created in your local drive.

Install the update

The process can take up to 5 minutes and during the installation your TV will turn off before turning itself back on.

1. Turn on the TV.
  2. Insert your USB device containing the file sony_dtv0FA00A00A0A0_00020100 into the USB slot of the TV set.
  3. Follow the on screen instructions
  4. The POWER indicator will be green for 30 seconds, followed by the PIC OFF/TIMER indicator slowly flashing amber, and the STANDBY indicator is red.
  5. After several minutes, the TV will turn off and then turn back on to complete the update. - Do not remove the USB device or turn off the TV set.
  6. When the firmware update is completed, a message is displayed on the TV set.: "The system update is complete." or "Newer version not detected."
  7. Remove your USB device from the USB slot.

Cheers

iancray
Explorer

Hi 

Thanks for your reply. I have already checked the currently level of firmware on the TV which is PKG4.111EUL-0108 so I do need to do the update. My biigest problem at the moment is that the TV will  not respond in any way when I plug the USB stick in with the update on. I have reformatted it to FAT32 but on a Mac so I will try reformatting the USB stick on a PC and also download the update from a PC and see if that makes any difference. Ian

Anonymous
Not applicable

The other thing you can do is try another USB drive. 

Also, did you unzip the file and then copied the whole folder to the USB drive?

profile.country.GB.title
JapanMan2
Contributor

https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/KDL-37EX503

I'd suggest the USB route too, did it on my old TV and worked much better. :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
JapanMan2
Contributor

Hopefully after reformatting it on a PC will resolve the issue.

My friend & I had an issue with backing up some photos as once the USB was formatted for him Mac, it didn't work on my Windows; why do things have to be so uncompatible? 😞

iancray
Explorer

Hi.

Some progress has been made in that I tried different USB sticks after formatting them on a PC and the TV does now at least regonise that a USB stick has been inserted. It also shows that a USB stick is connected when I browse in the menu sections (Network, Music Photos). The main problem is that it still doesnt see the update on the stick. I have made sure that the correct update has been downloaed from the Sony site and  that it has been extracted as per instruction (I end up with a .bin file) but it just doesn't see the update and just sits there. Is there anything that I am not doing correctly and/or is there some way that I can force the TV to see the update and start things running. Thanks. Ian.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you copy just the file to the USB or the whole folder?  The file needs to be placed in a folder called 'sony_dtv0FA00A00A0A0_00020100' on the USB Drive.

iancray
Explorer

Hi 

No I didn't have the file within the folder so I have done as suggested and put the update file into the folder and yes, the TV see's the USB stick and then tells me that there is no file to update. When checking the USB stick again I see that the folder and file have been removed or at least no longer visible. I only have a Mac which seems to cause some issues when downloading so I will get my wife to bring her PC laptop hme and I will donwload and try again. Ian.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool - give it another go.  But as I said above, you must follow the instructions exactly !