Join now - be part of our community!

Changing region from Australia to UK

profile.country.GB.title
Caselbep
New

Changing region from Australia to UK

Hi I recently received from Australia, my late Mum’s Sony Bravia model KDL-40EX650 in the UK. There is no UK region listed in the choices. How can I use it here? It is an excellent tv and in good condition. 

I would be grateful for help and advice 

3 REPLIES 3
Piscie
Community Team

Hi @Caselbep, do you currently live in the UK? Is there a digital aerial connected to the TV? Try setting the Auto Tuning Range to Full: Settings - Digital Setup - Auto Tuning Range - Full. This will search for available channels regardless of your country or region.

profile.country.GB.title
Caselbep
New

hi there,

yes I live in the UK and have plugged in the antenna but to no avail. UK does not come up as a region to select so I opted for Other. Have done the recommended scanning 😟

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Caselbep 

This is a 2012 TV with no DVB-T2 tuner, which means you will never get any UK HD channels on it. Whether you will get any SD channels is moot; but the set may have a hidden menu to change country in, fetched by a certain key combination somebody here might know. Or it may be accessed by a special Sony engineer’s remote.

It hasn’t got any digital audio out that I can see, but it has got analogue out. So no modern soundbar connections. It has WiFi, but only with a separate Sony dongle, which your mother may or may not have had, and if so, which may or may not have come with the set,

However, it is a Full HD TV, so if you buy an HD digibox, available quite cheaply, you can use it for both SD and HD, and never get tangled up with trying to change country on the set itself.

Likewise with smarts, where a Roku Express or Amazon Firestick will provide all the smarts you could want, at a much lower cost than the Sony dongle was, even if you could get one today. And of course, it’s likely that all of the few things the dongle could bring won’t run anyway.

So you have four HDMI inputs; one for the digibox; one for the Roku or Firestick; one for a DVD or Bluray player you might have already, maybe (no region issues there with UK discs, even though the TV is Australian); and one for anything else you might want to use with it, like an Xbox or PlayStation, maybe.

All done for under £100 probably, to give you a modern ‘UK’ TV that will stand comparison with pretty much any current HD set.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…