Join now - be part of our community!

Configuring a TV for a dual band wireless router

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Kleisthenes
Explorer

Configuring a TV for a dual band wireless router

I have a 2014 model KDL-42W829B TV. I am just trying out a new dual band wireless router.

Other than setting [WiFi Direct] to [Off], is it actually possible to configure the TV specifically to use the 5GHz band. The i-Manual appears to imply that it is possible, but I can’t find out how to do it. Or does the TV automatically use the 5GHz band if it can, otherwise it uses the 2.4GHz band?

On my new router, the recommended wireless interface type for the 2.4GHz band is “802.11 b/g/n”, and the recommended wireless interface type for the 5GHz band is “802.11 n 40 MHz”. However, if I set the recommended wireless interface type for the 5GHz band, I cannot get the TV to use the 5GHz band; it uses only the 2.4GHz band. On the other hand, if I set the wireless interface type to the non-recommended “802.11 a/n” for the 5GHz band, the TV does then use the 5GHz band. From the information I have given, can anyone explain why this is the case? (I should add at this point that my wife’s iPad can use the 5GHz band when the wireless interface type is set to the recommended “802.11 n 40 MHz”.)

I’m not really sure whether I should prefer the TV to use the 5GHz band over the 2.4GHz band. I know the data transfer rate can be greater using the 5GHz band. However, if the data transfer rate between the router and the TV is perfectly satisfactory using the 2.4GHz band (e.g. for watching BBC iPlayer programmes), should I really be trying to get the TV to use the 5GHz band?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I think we need to go back to basics on this one before getting complicated.  I have just tested a 2014 TV and can confirm that I can connect to either 2.4 or 5Ghz bands.  My 5Ghz band is 80Mhz mode.

The issue is....  to be 100 percent certain that you have connected via 5Ghz band, you will need to set the routers SSID's up differently.  I recommend 1 SSID for 2.4Ghz and another for 5Ghz.  I have done this with my TalkTalks "Super" router.  Then its just a simple case of scanning the SSID's on the TV and connecting to it.  So, if possible, go for the dual SSID option and separate those frequencies.

2.4 vs 5Ghz : If everything works as expected, who cares which band its on?  :slight_smile:   There are pros and cons with 5Ghz (ie higher transfer rates/less signal range etc)

Personally - I would recommend a wired connection - CAT5e or CAT6 :slight_smile:

An interesting link is:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47026/~/can-i-use-40mhz-or-80mhz-wi-fi-on-the-bt-home...

Cheers

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I think we need to go back to basics on this one before getting complicated.  I have just tested a 2014 TV and can confirm that I can connect to either 2.4 or 5Ghz bands.  My 5Ghz band is 80Mhz mode.

The issue is....  to be 100 percent certain that you have connected via 5Ghz band, you will need to set the routers SSID's up differently.  I recommend 1 SSID for 2.4Ghz and another for 5Ghz.  I have done this with my TalkTalks "Super" router.  Then its just a simple case of scanning the SSID's on the TV and connecting to it.  So, if possible, go for the dual SSID option and separate those frequencies.

2.4 vs 5Ghz : If everything works as expected, who cares which band its on?  :slight_smile:   There are pros and cons with 5Ghz (ie higher transfer rates/less signal range etc)

Personally - I would recommend a wired connection - CAT5e or CAT6 :slight_smile:

An interesting link is:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47026/~/can-i-use-40mhz-or-80mhz-wi-fi-on-the-bt-home...

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Kleisthenes
Explorer

Many thanks for the reply.  It was very useful.  I've now set up separate SSIDs for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.

The link you provided and further links on the target page are all particularly relevant because I am a BT Broadband customer and the new router that BT has asked me to try is the Home Hub 4.  The Home Hub 4 has the function to tell me which devices are connected on which band.  So, in your second paragraph, I think you might have meant to say "The issue is....  to be 100 percent certain that you do connect via the 5Ghz band, you will need to ...".

profile.country.GB.title
Cotehouse
New

I have 1 year old song bravo 70 inch with a netgear router and it will start a Hulu show but can’t load a show I’m a assuming I need to be on the 5ghz not the 2.5 any clues or ideas I’m about to loose my lid just want to get off work and watch tv I have 100+ mbps speed so that can’t be it trying to keep it wireless ( I worked very hard keeping it looking clean)