Join now - be part of our community!

Connect an External Hard Drive to Bravia-40HX750 via USB

profile.country.el_GR.title
jioann
Visitor

Connect an External Hard Drive to Bravia-40HX750 via USB

I recently bought a Seagate External Portable Hard Drive 500GB, I downloaded some MKV movies and I Connected it to my Sony Bravia-40HX750. The Unit was recognized as an external Drive, but I couldn't play the MKV files.

Searching the Sony menu, a message displayed that in order to read the External Seagate drive, it should be re-formatted(I suppose so) and the Data should be lost.

I accepted it, the disk was re-formatted and  now I can programme to write programs from Sony Tv to the External Disk and I also can play them. So it works fine with the Sony TV.

The problem is that the so re-formatted Seagate is not recognized from my Desktop PC, using Win7 or from my Play Station 3. Is there any idea on how can I play the unit on both environments, or how can I format it to play in my Desktop ??

Thanks  

16 REPLIES 16

Hi,

Not completely on the point... but I use the hard drive recording on a Sony Bravia as described in this thread and I'm thinking of upgrading to a new Bravia simply because I've got a Sony stereo and a PS3 - one remote...

Any idea if the recordings on the Hard Disk will be transferable to a new TV?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Unfortunately there is no way to transfer recording from one tv to the other (even if they were the same model. Each recording is encoded with data related to the TV motherboard..

miheer
Explorer

- Go to the app store on your Sony TV. Download the app called ES File Explorer, this app allows you to browse as well as play videos from your hard disk, without having to format the Hard disk.

- I do want to mention that even though the movies play using ES File Explorer, they do not start straight from a VLC player or the TV's own video player.

- If you keep your hard disk connected to the TV, the browsing and playback is faster, vs you removing it and connecting it every time. This is only a delay issue.

- If your app store does not show ES File Explorer, any file explorer app should work, but I have not tried it.

All the best.

Harkin83
Explorer

Hi Brava55HX how do I  de registered and re format hard on my pc

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Harkin83

What model TV do you have?

Cheers

Harkin83
Explorer

• @Anonymous thanks for the quick reply it's a Bravia KDL-40EX724
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Harkin83

I thought id answer your question before the F1 Race starts :slight_smile:

To De-Register HDD:

Press HOME > System Settings > Recording Set-up > HDDDeregistration, then select the device to deregister. After deregistration, recorded data cannot be played anymore.

To Re-Use HDD:

https://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23526/

Cheers