Join now - be part of our community!

Connecting Bravia KDL-32V5500 TV to device

Connecting Bravia KDL-32V5500 TV to device

Hi apologies, this issue is probably old news but I have been trying to trouble shoot a problem with my Sony Bravia KDL-32V5500 TV for over a year on and off, just to get the TV to display my laptop screen.

First I had a windows 7 laptop which I connected using an HGV cable. That worked fine first times, then I had the 'Illegal signal' message obscuring the bottom right corner of the page. Sony support took me through a whole load of things to try but didn’t resolve anything and referred me to Microsoft. Next I bought a Nexus 7 and connected that using an HDMI cable, which worked fine at first few times then the TV started flickering until it went blank. I have now purchased a Dell Inspiron Windows 8 laptop and again using HDMI, the laptop displayed on the Sony TV screen fine first few times and then went blank. Looking at some of the posts on the internet and the suggestions they offer, I have tried each one of the 4 HDMI sockets on the TV but no luck.  I have tested connecting my Nexus 7 and Dell Inspiron, with the same cables, to other monitors and TV screens, using the same cables and all display fine. From the amount of posts this Sony TV model obviously has some faults which Sony Support fail to address. Is there anyone out there that has a solution to this?  

Thanks in advance.

Tags (2)
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

First suggestion is to ensure that you have the most up-to-date firmware installed.  See : HERE for more details.

I am not too sure why it would work for a few days, and then not. I know this may sound stupid, but is the cable correctly and securely connected?

Also, I am not too familiar with Windows 8 - but there is a "screen duplication" option on the start side-bar, I believe.  Also have you switched to the correct input on the laptop - In many cases, you may need to press the FN key plus one of the function keys (eg, for me its FN+F4)

Other than that, another forum member might be able to assist further, or try contacting Sony Support : HERE

Cheers

Hi

Thanks for the response. Yes I updated the firmware as directed by Sony Support. The fact that the TV displays the device the first few times and then stops, has baffled me also. I have double checked all the cables I have used. I have even asked friends at work to try them with their home laptops and TVs and they work fine. I am also used to working with laptops and screens and projectors, as I give training presentations as part of my work, so I know the various ways to get laptop screens to display and how to trouble shoot and isolate what is the poblem, and its defintely the Sony TV in this case.

One thing a colleague thought may be causing the issue is the difference between the screen resolution of my laptop and on the TV, but I don't understand in what way this a problem and what settings I should try. My laptop is currently 1920x1080 but looking at the screen settings on the Sony TV cannot see any settings that indicate 'resolution'. I don't know if it is a combination of getting the screen settings right on both the laptop and the TV that will resolve the issue, but will take me forever to work out what that combination is. I have been waiting for Sony Support to respond to me since March on this ongoing issue, and had to send another email to Sony support yesterday as my new Windows 8 laptop did what the last 2 devices did, displayed at first and then stopped. Their last response was to refer me back to Microsoft, but my Nexus 7 isn't Microsoft.

Thanks

Lee

Anonymous
Not applicable

Its an interesting problem you have.  I have looked at the specs of the TV, and it can display 1080p from HDMI sources, so cannot understand this.  You could try lowering the display resolution of the laptop (once the HDMI Cable is connected).