Join now - be part of our community!

Connecting Sony Bravia TV to (very) old Hi Fi system ?

profile.country.ro_RO.title
vici30
Visitor

Connecting Sony Bravia TV to (very) old Hi Fi system ?

Hello! I am having trouble connecting my Sony Bravia TV (model KDL-40EX402; this one http://www.sony.lv/product/tv-102-40-lcd/kdl-40ex402 -it goes to Sony Latvia, I don't know why) to my very old "RXD6AV Disk Exchange/mini HiFi component system" (this one http://www.podarimo.si/slike/slika11282729800.jpg).

The problem is a bit more complicated. I am using a laptop to watch films on the TV. Some films support 5.1 and I decided to see if I could use my old HiFi. The thing is the 5.1 (or any sound for that matter) only works when the HiFi receives signal from a video or a dvd player, not my TV.

I'm sorry I may have not explained very well, I'm not very good at these things.

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Im not sure i fully understand? The Hifi (from the picture), is only 2 speakers - hence 2 channel stereo (2.0)? I am assuming that you have the other 3 speakers and sub connected?

Can you also confirm that you have connected a digital optical cable to the digital in port (from the digital out port on the TV, and set the TV audio output accordingly) I believe the HIFI has this.

I understand that you get 5.1 from your DVD player (a video player, as far as im aware doesnt support 5.1), so we know that works.

Reading this back, I guess what im saying is, is the cabling. How have you cabled it altogether?

Cheers.

vici30
Visitor

There are indeed all the parts necessary for a 5.1 system. The system works if I play a film on a dvd or an old video casette, but I get no audio from the TV if I want to watch the news, for example (not even stereo... just the static buzz off the speaker.. and yes I have looked into the TV's settings and it is set on hifi output, not tv speakers).

I have a DVD player, a VCR, that HiFi system all linked to my Bravia (all other electronics are also Sony). The HiFi can output surround sound, but I can't manage to get it from the TV (from a film that supports 5.1 audio), through to the HiFi so that I can actually have 5.1 audio instead of the stereo speakers from the TV.

To make it clearer, here's some examples:

1. VCR:

-video goes to tv

- 5.1 audio goes to HiFi (works)

2. DVD

same as VCR

3. TV (used as a monitor for a film played on a laptop)

- video from latop

[problem here] audio from laptop to TV then HiFi (doesn't work at all, not even stereo)

- audio from laptop to TV using the TV's speakers (works)

[problem here] audio from TV to HiFi (no laptop, regular TV channel) - doesn't work at all

The things is.... the TV specs say it handles 5.1 audio but I need someone to explain to me which are the output sockets/hole/thingies and what type of cable I need to connect from TV audio out to HiFi audio in.

Because I have the standard red/white but it's obviously not surround. And also, the HiFi is capable of 5.1, but apparently I can only get it to output surround, not to also receive and then output.

I hope I didn't make things even more intricated : (

EDIT : I have no digital optical cable, and I don't think that HiFi suports it.

Message was edited by: vici30

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, lets keep this simple and leave the DVD and VHS out of the equation.

You must connect the TV to the HIFI via a Digital Optical Cable (sometimes known as a TOSLINK Cable)

From TV - Digital Optical Out

To Hifi - Digital Optical In

An Example-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-Digital-Optical-Audio-Toslink/dp/B001TH7GSW/

Just saw you updated post,

On page 12 of the HiFi manual it says a digital in jack

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/3866222111.pdf

I am assuming that is the Optical Jack. Can you confirm that it looks a squarish port at the back of the HiFi?

Edit again - It might have a small black cover over it, where you just pull off with your fingers.

Message was edited by: Quinnicus

vici30
Visitor

As far as I can see, the only squarish thing that has "digital" (and has a black cover which you pull off) is a thing called "CD Digital Output (Optical)". That's obviously not input.

Other than that, I have the regular things for Antenna, Woofer, Speakers Video.

I now assume that my version of the HiFi doesn't have a digital input... Since on the back side of the system there is the digital output thingy on the right, but on the left there is only a plastic square which hasn't been cut off in the factory... So I guess no Digital In for me (if that's where it would be supposed to be).

Anonymous
Not applicable

It does sound like no 5.1 from TV for you.

However it just makes no sense on having an Opitical Output on a Hifi (unless outputting to other systems). Im still scratching my head here, on why would anyone want to output to a CD player. You INPUT it to the Hifi. Im wondering if its incorrectly labeled.

One suggestion is to purchase a TOSLINK cable of Amazon. They are less than a fiver, so you wouldnt loose much, even if it didnt work.

Just my 2p that all.

Good Luck.