Join now - be part of our community!

Connectivity for TV, HDD & DVD Recorder.

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
pineman
New

Connectivity for TV, HDD & DVD Recorder.

I have checked the connectivity diagrams on the web site but none cater for my (proposed) set up. I have a:- 

KDL-32EX523 Bravia TV, an SVR-HDT500 hard drive recorder and an RDR-HXD870 DVD recorder.

All have the HDMI facility and I wondered what the best way would be to have them all connected to the TV and enable recording on both devices if neccesary.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
pineman
New

Thanks both of you for your advice.

The HDD arrived this morning and, after some trial and error, this is what I ended up with.

The HDD and DVD Recorder both have an independant HDMI lead connected directly to the TV. The aerial lead comes from the socket in the wall to the 'in' socket on the HDD. The 'out' socket of the HDD has an aerial lead going to the 'in' socket of the DVD Recorder. The 'out' socket of the DVD Recorder has an aerial lead goint to the TV. They are effectively daisy chained.

Everything seems to work perfectly and all devices are linked to the TV with Bravia Sync so, for example, if you switch on either the DVD Recorder or HDD with their remote, the TV is automatically switched on. If all of the devices are switched on they will be turned off automatically when the TV is switched off. All remotes carry out a lot of control on different devices but not all of them. All devices are capable of recording different channels at the same time as watching another different channel on the TV.

The only slight drawback is that if you want to change devices using the TV remote control it only gives you the option of HDMI 1,2,3 etc and doesn't identify which actual device it is, which would be nice.

Now all I need to utilise this set up is four diffent programs on TV at the same time that I want to watch/record. Now that would be a miracle!!

Thanks once again.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
65hx923_cust11
New

What do you mean?

I imagine that you could split the aerial, with a Y splitter, to the tuner and the DVD recorder. Connect both HDMI output to the TV. You could also connect the aerial from one of them to the TV so that you could use all three devices’ tuner. I hope that this may help. I am sorry but could not fully understand your scenario .

pineman
New

The Sony site shows connectivity plans for various single recorders and a TV. None of them cater for what I want to do and use two recorders. The plan is to connect two different recorders to a TV so that both can record TV programs, if necessary, at the same time. In theory it should be possible then to watch one channel on the TV, record a different channel on the DVD recorder and record two other channels on the HDD recorder. Are you with me so far?

My query is what is the best way to connect these devices up? Should the HDMI cables connect each device separately to the TV or should they be 'looped' through each device? Should the aerial cable be split or 'looped' through the devices? If the aerial cable is to be 'looped' through each device is it important for the cable to be connected to one specific device before the other or doesn't it matter which one is first in the loop?

Hope you find this clearer.

Bravia55HX

Hi,

a TiVo box is a far better option!!, however IF and only IF this is feesible connect them using individual HDMI cables then you need to be sure your aerial is of latest Digital spec and capable of handling at least a three way splitter then connect aerial cables from the splitter to your tv and both players.

you may need to jump from one channel to the other to be sure of what your trying to record or set it on timer event then in theory should be able to settle on watching the channel of your choice.

but as i've said, a TiVo box is far far simpler!.

pineman
New

Thanks for that. I actually have the HDD on the way, so TIVO isn't an option, and I'm already using the TV and DVD recorder. I'll let you know how I get on when I have connected everything.

profile.country.GB.title
65hx923_cust11
New

Hi pineman

Yeah, that was more or less what I understood but wanted to be clear. I assume that you have a single aerial outlet on the wall and that you do not need to connect both devices to the same TV HDMI input. The solution that I would use would be this one: I would get a splitter on the wall. One will go to the HDD Tuner and one to the DVD recorder. Then I would connect the aerial output of the DVD recorder to the aerial of the TV. I then I would connect the HDD tuner and DVD recorder HDMI output, or whichever connection you prefer or have available to each of the inputs in the TV. If you want to use the same TV HDMI input for both devices then a HDMI switch will be needed.

With this setting you should be able to see the TV without the need to use the HDD or DVD. You should also be able to record in both devices regardless of what you are watching. The only inconvenience is that you will need to change to the relevant HDMI input in your TV to watch the recordings. If all three devices have HMDI control then this is a non-issue.

You could also daisy-chain all three devices. By connecting the aerial to the DVD, the aerial output of the DVD into the HDD tuner and finally the output of the aerial of the HDD tuner to the TV. This is assuming that the HDD tuner has aerial input and output as well as the DVD. You may also need some adapters for the aerial connection from male to female or vice versa depending on the connection of the devices.

If I have not explained myself clearly fire away and I will try to make it clearer. :wink:

I hope this might help, good luck.

pineman
New

Thanks both of you for your advice.

The HDD arrived this morning and, after some trial and error, this is what I ended up with.

The HDD and DVD Recorder both have an independant HDMI lead connected directly to the TV. The aerial lead comes from the socket in the wall to the 'in' socket on the HDD. The 'out' socket of the HDD has an aerial lead going to the 'in' socket of the DVD Recorder. The 'out' socket of the DVD Recorder has an aerial lead goint to the TV. They are effectively daisy chained.

Everything seems to work perfectly and all devices are linked to the TV with Bravia Sync so, for example, if you switch on either the DVD Recorder or HDD with their remote, the TV is automatically switched on. If all of the devices are switched on they will be turned off automatically when the TV is switched off. All remotes carry out a lot of control on different devices but not all of them. All devices are capable of recording different channels at the same time as watching another different channel on the TV.

The only slight drawback is that if you want to change devices using the TV remote control it only gives you the option of HDMI 1,2,3 etc and doesn't identify which actual device it is, which would be nice.

Now all I need to utilise this set up is four diffent programs on TV at the same time that I want to watch/record. Now that would be a miracle!!

Thanks once again.

Bravia55HX

check and see if your model will allow you to re name the HDMI inputs, most of the newer ones do.

pineman
New

I have had a look but no luck unfortunately. I'll either get used to it or maybe stick a little number on the remote control :wink:

profile.country.GB.title
LennonMac
Explorer

can you please help me,i have the sony bravia hx853 46 television and have a panasonic dmr blu ray recorder connected to it through my sony bdv-e280 amp, at the moment my device the dmr720 is showing up as recorder 3 it was showing up as recorder 1 and id like to have it put back to this,i just dont know what ive done to change it showing up as recorder 3 instead of recorder 1.hope you can help.