Join now - be part of our community!

Dark streaks on screen of 40" Bravia

profile.country.en_GB.title
ozzy7781
Visitor

Dark streaks on screen of 40" Bravia

Hi

Over the past few weeks I've noticed a dark streak going down the middle of the screen of my 40" KDL-40V3000. This seems to be more noticable when watching football.

The TV is 2 1/2 years old (6 months out of warranty and shock - it starts to play up!)

I've scanned the net and it seems I'm not alone with this issue. Another chap has the same issue with his Sony TV and posted a picture on the following forum....

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1310747-my-tv-has-dark-streaks-please-help.html

This hasn't really been answered on this site so I was wondering if anyone on here has experienced this or can maybe diagnose from seeing the image?

I'm unsure what to do from here. Although the warranty has run out, this should not happen to a 2 1/2 yr old TV that cost nearly £1000 when released. Is it cost effective to fix? should I just replace it?? or is there a slim chance Sony will help?

Any advice would be a great help.

64 REPLIES 64
duncangal999
Visitor

KDL-40v3000 bought april 2008

duncangal999
Visitor

Shall we start a facebook campaign - at least there will be a bit of global support  so we can see if it is an international problem?

Pinball
Visitor

Sounds like a good idea that

mstaniak
Explorer

"... there will be a bit of global support  so we can see if it is an international problem?" Unfortunately I doubt it (the global support). Sony US and Sony Australia officially acknowledged there is a manufacturing fault in V3000 model and they're appropriately deal with the issue. UK market and customers seem to be 2nd category crowd...

Pinball
Visitor

mstaniak wrote:

"... there will be a bit of global support  so we can see if it is an international problem?" Unfortunately I doubt it (the global support). Sony US and Sony Australia officially acknowledged there is a manufacturing fault in V3000 model and they're appropriately deal with the issue. UK market and customers seem to be 2nd category crowd...

I really hope that isnt true.

duncangal999
Visitor

My response from Sony

I am pleased to read you are the owner of a KDL-40V3000 BRAVIA  Television, however, I am sorry to learn of the difficulties you have  been encountering.

Sony is not aware of any known issue with the  KDL-40V3000 model, and any fault with them will be treated as per the  normal service and guarantee procedures. Any customer with the same  issue should follow the same process.

As a result, we would  suggest that your product is examined by an Authorised Service Centre.   You may wish to do this by contacting your original supplying retailer,  or, if this is not possible - to locate your nearest Authorised Service  Centre, please go to www.sony.co.uk.

Click on Support

Select Repair Service
Enter the model number in the drop down box
You will be in the General tab area
Select the Repair/Information request tab
Scroll down to the Service Centres search link

This will take you to the Service Centre Locator where you can search via postcode or town and the type of product.

Should you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely

Samantha Robinson
Customer Information Centre
SONY UNITED KINGDOM

duncangal999
Visitor

Have you got some kind of proof about US and Australia?

Pinball
Visitor

"Sony is not aware of any known issue with the KDL-40V3000 model"

We either need our eyes testing or this is all a figment of our imagination with this product ...

mstaniak
Explorer

Limited Warranty Extension for the LCD Panel in Certain 2007 Model Year 46" BRAVIA® Televisions

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/news-item.pl?mdl=KDL46XBR4&news_id=378

https://www.sony-europe.com/discussions/message/649880#649880

I am also aware of the issue in the US with similar generation Bravia.  However, while their Bravia range may share the same or similar model numbers,  they  are manufactured it totally different factories to the units we get in Europe.   That being said, if we get enough reports of the same problem (another reason we need that repair estimate) we will take action, as we have done previously.

StartTheCar helped some people from this forum already, hopefully he will do something for us too...

Unfortunately I need to point out that the statement: they are manufactured it totally different factories to the units we get in Europe gives a false impression that there is no link between US and European products. Despite they're assembled in the different factories (I don't know but I am assuming it's true) they're still built from exactly the same components when it comes especially to LCD panels (this is what I know for sure) and they use the same technology (build) and share the same manufacturing processes so any issues will affect both versions.

It is not a secret that there is just a handful of suppliers in the World who provide 40" and bigger LCD panels for 95% of TV sets and PC monitors, therefore it is not only Sony US and (as I am claiming) Sony Europe who's affected. The same issues with 40-52 LCD TVs (its panels) are confirmed within some 2007-2009 products from other manufacturers (Toshiba, Samsung...) who acknowledged the fact and took relevant actions long time ago.

Unfortunately we're Sony customers...

brinklom
Visitor

I have just noticed two thin vertical lines on my KDL-40V3000 when the background is quite light. Whilst googling for a solution I found this thread and another about Sony tvs manufactured in 2007 which had the same problems, surely Sony will realise this is definitely a manufacturing fault? My tv was manufactured in 2008 and the extended warranty (three years) ran out in April!
I will be contacting Sony to add my tv to their database of issues. Let's hope they will recognise the need to investigate our concerns.