Join now - be part of our community!

DLNA DivX file size limit (KDL-32EX520)

profile.country.da_DK.title
Rud.Holmgren
Visitor

DLNA DivX file size limit (KDL-32EX520)

Hi Community

I have a KDL-32EX520 connected to a Buffalo LinkStation DLNA media server. All the basics works like a charm, the TV finds the server without problems, playback, ffwd, rev, pause and everything else just works out of the box (quite to my surprise actually).

When it comes to file formats I've managed to get MPEG2, DivX and Xvid working (no H.264 but that doesn't bother me that much).

Now my problem is that the TV refuses to play files larger than 1GB?! (I not sure about the size but it seems to be in that area). For DivX streams this limits the quality to about 90 minutes in 720x400 at 1300 kbit - which looks really bad on a full HD screen.

I have tried running a media server on my home PC (mediatomb) with the same result. I also did try connecting other DLNA clients to the media server - playback works like a charm also on large files.

The range of supported video formats on this Bravia is shockingly poor that I really regret having bought the TV in the first place. In comparison my 10 year old XBox running XBMC plays just about every file/format i throw at it. With this new (2011 model) TV is was hoping to get rid of that extra box - but I guess I won't...

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Big difference is that Xbox and XBMC are basically a full blown PC. TV's are generally far simpler devices.

Wasn't aware of a file limit size for DLNA though - is it the same if you use a DLNA media server on your PC to stream the content?

Thanks

profile.country.da_DK.title
Rud.Holmgren
Visitor

Thanks for the reply

Same problem when I stream from my PC. I'm thinking I can't be the only one experiencing this?!

Regarding the XBox: I would expect a 2011 television to have more CPU-power than a 2001 PC actually...

profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

I'll test at the weekend and see if I have the same issue - I'm sure I've streamed 1.4gb files in the past, but will confirm.

The TV has never followed the traditional PC model of improving the processor by large amounts year on year as the basic functionality of the TV hasn't changed largely in the last 10 years, they have simply had to display a streamed image from a variety of inputs which doesn't really require alot of processing power. Increasing however with browsers and applications, much more power is needed and so they are getting quicker -but still not approaching  console CPU performance