Join now - be part of our community!

Do all Sony LCD screens only last 2 years?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
unhappycustomer
Visitor

Do all Sony LCD screens only last 2 years?

The screen is going on my KDL 40W 4500 after just 2 years. Sony refuse to contribute to the cost and replacing it is only slightly more expensive than the repair cost. This was a best buy in Which? magazine.

I am now going out to buy a new TV. It will be my first non Sony for 20 years. I am now a non customer for any Sony product and will share my experience widely.

154 REPLIES 154
strummer61
Visitor

Judgejules11.  Mine is nearly 2 1/2 years old & it's now being sorted out thanks to StartTheCar.

I understand the fault is known to Sony UK on the 46" panel.

I would PM StartTheCar rather than waste your time calling Sony.

Good luck & keep us posted.

judgejules11
Visitor

STA73807.JPGI have only had my kdl46v3000 21/2 years it has got large shadows on the screen which look worse when you watch football is it worth contacting sony or do just accept i have wasted £1200 any ideas cheers!!!!!!!!

Message was edited by: judgejules11

ballamboy
Visitor

Lee,

You'll see from my earlier posts that I've had the same problem as many others. Luckily I was stroppy enough (or my letter of escalation hit enough buttons) to get me an offer of a new set - which I've accepted.

All credit to you for coming on the forum and giving advice - I'm guessing you work for Sony. Just a few thoughts - Sony have sorted my problem but managed to alienate me as a future customer. Why? I think it's that old adage about the quality of an organisation can be judged not by what it does right, but by what it does when things go wrong (I'm paraphrasing - it's something like that. You can tell I'm not a management consultant!)

I have no problem with Sony asking me to get a repair estimate.

I have a big problem with being initially lied to and told it's not a known fault.

I have a big problem with getting no reply or apology from Sony, only a 3rd party call from the repair shop telling me Sony will offer me a replacement.

I have quite a big problem being expected to pay £40 for the estimate to rectify a problem not of my making.

I have quite a big problem with rudeness at the Service Centre - when I told the representative that he was alienating me as a customer, he replied that I was alienating him!  Then refused to put me through to a supervisor. I spoke to the supervisor (didn't mention the rudeness, maybe I was too shocked!) who didn't seem to see any problem that Sony hadn't bothered to apologis. Like many others I have lived with a useless set for over a month, and spent hours and three 20 mile trips trying to resolve this issue.

I hope Watchdog or another consumer programme pick up on this. For those of you still in dispute - keep it going and good luck!

profile.country.GB.title
apuk2004

Hi all,

Following on from my earlier post,

here are my photos of the KDL40W4500 screen issues.

This may help others decide if they have the same problem.

http://i56.tinypic.com/28jw5fo.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/18dhs3.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/2diptv9.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/imp94m.jpg

Thanks to StartTheCar and Sony Warranties I have now been offered the KDL40EX503 as a replacement.

I would recommend anyone with an out of warranty Sony KDL40W4500/4710  from 2008/2009, who has the same problem, start by calling Sony Customer  Services who will assess what to do.

neilbroadbent
Visitor

Lee

for the past month I have experienced the same problem as many others with my KDL40W4500, my screen problem appears exactly as per the photos posted on this site.

I purchased the TV on 4th jan 2009 for £1153.

I have contacted customer information centre today on the UK number from the European guarantee document.

I have been given a reference number (26550628) recording the fault and logging my details.

I discussed the fault with customer services and, to be fair, the representative was extremely polite and helpful. However, they stated they were unaware of a known fault as described.

I mentioned that there are screen shots exactly like mine on this thread.

I was advised of the nearest repairer and was told they would contact me, I was also advised that if the repairer was unaware of the fault as reported, then it was strongly advised that I didn't proceed with the repair as the repairer may not be able to claim from Sony and I would be liable for repair costs.

I also mentioned this thread to the customer information centre who advised to reply to it if the repairer states there may be a problem.

The repairer has promptly contacted me, although helpful, is unaware of a known fault. They state they do get screen failures as described but stated they have to be careful what they say and are unable to confirm if this is a fault recognised by Sony, so were unsure who would have to pay for repairs.

As the repair visit would incur a minimum charge of £50 (it is a 90 mile round trip) I am unsure as to how to proceed.

I have appreciated the help so far from customer services but remain a little disappointed and somewhat confused as to how to proceed.

I have been a loyal Sony customer and have purchased many of their products, I have always found the products to be of good quality.

I hope Sony will address the issues to everyone's satisfaction.

With thanks

Neil

neilbroadbent
Visitor

Hi Nico

I have just posted a reply to lee's (startthecar) post.

I have the same problem as others with my KDL40W4500.

My case number is 26550628

I have followed advice offered but am unsure as to how to proceed.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Neil

strummer61
Visitor

From my understanding, Sony UK has now accepted a "known fault" on the 40X4500, but doesn't yet accept the same on the 40X3500

I seem to remember these were almost identical, just a single added feature on the X4500.  Surely, they must share most of the same components & were probably manufactured in the same factory.

My 40X3500 is now confirmed as needing a new screen.  Look at the fault, it's identical to the faults in this thread.

screenfault1.JPG

screenfault2.JPG

judgejules11
Visitor

I recently posted a message on here about my sony kdl46v3000  as i have shadows on the screen but apparently i am the only person to have a problem like this. I have been on forums all over the internet and seen loads of pictures of the same problem that i have got , ihave been told that it is just unfortunate  that my screen has gone like this !!!!!!.  I will tell you what is unfortunate and that is that i wasted £1200 on a telly that i have had for  21/2 years  and is a piece of sh**!  i boughtv a sony dav-is 10 home theatre system and a ps3 to go with it costing a total of  £2000 you would think sony woul be slightly bothered about keeping customers happy but they are not !!!!!.Can anybody tell me if they have had problems with this t.v as i am in talks with BBC s watchdog with my problems!!!!!!!!!!

mstaniak
Explorer

Hi judgejules11

My problem is slightly different to strummer61's and looks more like your and other people mentioning dark streaks - please see pictures I have attached to one of my previous post (just look at right-bottom corner of the screen):

https://www.sony-europe.com/discussions/message/646309#646309

Just a reminder - my set is KDL-40V3000 less than 2.5 year old... crap :angry:

judgejules11
Visitor

Hi mstaniak i have taken alook at your pictures on your previous post and it looks just like the marks on my screen, and so do a lot of the other pictures on that thread .Why is that thread now locked ? . What did sony say to you ? and didi you message start the car .This is what my screen looks like.STA73807.JPG