Join now - be part of our community!

Dolby Vision still poor on Sony Af8

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
carnea
Explorer

Dolby Vision still poor on Sony Af8

Hi

Had this TV since 2018 but the Dolby vision setting for some programs is too dark. On newer TV's you can alter the Dolby Vision setting to for day and night.

Can anything be done to the settings at all or a firmware update please

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Piscie
Community Team

Hello @carnea, if the picture is too dark, you might have to change the brightness level: Settings - Display & Sound - Brightness. Also, what is the full TV model number? As far as I know, the AF8 doesn't feature Dolby Vision.

Also check if your TV is running the latest software version or not, it should be 6.7215

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Piscie
Community Team

Hello @carnea, if the picture is too dark, you might have to change the brightness level: Settings - Display & Sound - Brightness. Also, what is the full TV model number? As far as I know, the AF8 doesn't feature Dolby Vision.

Also check if your TV is running the latest software version or not, it should be 6.7215

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Af8 like the very first Sony OLED TV implement a player led version of Dolby vision or low latency DV (LLDV) due to its limited mediatek processing power so it has very limited possible capacity to adapt the picture (including not having different dark/bright profile). This will never be changed. And you cannot change brightness since it is already maxed out by default in any HDR profile.

The only think you could do for very dark content could be to play a little bit with the black level

profile.country.GB.title
carnea
Explorer

Thanks for your response, the Sony AF8 (UK model number) came with Dolby Vision via a software update from memory. 

profile.country.GB.title
carnea
Explorer

Thanks @rooobb for your response will try that as it's a real shame such an expensive TV at the time is let down by this feature. On newer models was shocked to discover the amount of choice to Dolby Vision day night even vivid can be selected whereas on AF8 its greyed out so you can't change this setting on tv

Piscie
Community Team

Hey @carnea, I mean what is your current software version number and full TV model as well? and have you been facing this issue since day 1 or recently? 

profile.country.GB.title
carnea
Explorer

Hey @Piscie 

thanks for your response.

The full U.K model number is KD-65AF8

The latest software update installed is.6.7210 from the information page on the help screen

Tried to do a software update and it's saying latest software installed

I think it's been like that from day one

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

Latest update for your Tv was released on the 4/7/ 2023. version 6.2715

Click here, https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-oled-tvs-android-/kd-65af8/downloa...

read the instructions on how to download it to your computer and then transfer the update to a USB stick and install that way.

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

Just noticed thanks to fellow contributor Jumpsuit that I mistyped the number of the latest update available.

I typed 6.2715 when it is of course 6.7215.