Join now - be part of our community!

DVI to HDMI with separate audio to TV

profile.country.cs_CZ.title
llelievre
Visitor

DVI to HDMI with separate audio to TV

HI,

To Sony:

I'm thinking of buying the 40NX705 TV but my satellite receiver has a DVI video output (no HDMI), does the TV allow a HDMI (DVI to HDMI conversion) connection for video, while the audio on the TV is received from a different source?  So video in via HDMI and audio in by another connection, and which one?

To the community and Sony:

Anyone already experience with this, is this supported by Sony and does anyone already have experience with this (especially with the sopecified model)

Thank you for your support.

L.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.en_GB.title
slowtrain
Visitor

Hi L

The connection for video and audio need to be combined so when you select an input source you get both HD picture and sound. The first thing I thought off is some sort of converter between the satellite box and TV.

Like this one.

http://www.dabs.com/products/startech-com-dvi---audio-to-hdmi-converter-67B3.html

It's not cheap but it's a solution. What other outputs do you have? Doesn't the satellite box have a SCART connection?

llelievre
Visitor

Hi slowtrain,

Yes the box (dreambox8000) has also other outputs, just would be interested in getting a digital signal istead of an analogue.  It has scart and composite too. 

Its just that according the user guide, it seems that HDMI1 port should be able to combine it with something else.  Its just that I rerad posts on the net which either works and don't work, so its just confusing and I would appreciate if Sony could claify this, or if someone actually has done (is doing) this.

Thanks for th efeedback.

profile.country.en_GB.title
slowtrain
Visitor

Hi Again

Having just looked at some pics of the Dreambox 8000 it has component video out. This can be use to get a better picture close to the digital one. You will also need the two audio phono cables too.

llelievre
Visitor

To anyone interested,

I had my Dreambox connected to the tv with a DVI-HDMI cable and video and sound are just fine, no extra cabling for sound required. I didn't know DVI had sound (Or maybe DM did something to it), but Im happy surprised its all resolved without anything extra.