Join now - be part of our community!

Early model Bravia, how to connect by WiFi to network?

profile.country.GB.title
lat002
Explorer

Early model Bravia, how to connect by WiFi to network?

I have a KDL-32V5500 Bravia TV which I would like to connect to my network so that I can access the Sony internet services.

I've read the FAQ's on 'Smart TV's' posted by 'Catmambo' and am hoping that by purchasing the 'UBWABR100 Wireless Dongle' I'll be able to do this painlessly.  Can anyone please advise on this (or how they've manage to connect there're (older) Bravia TV's for internet access).

I've seen mention that some of the early Bravia TV's (I bought this one in March 2009) are not internally suitable for direct Wifi dongle use even though the TV has USB and network sockets, etc., so am loathe to buy the dongle until I'm sure it will work.

Any advvice gratefully received.  Thanks.

:thinking:

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.en_GB.title
drhowells
New

Hi, I have just been reading the specs for this TV and it seems that it cannot access the Sony Internet Services, yet alone use wireless i'm afraid.

The network connection is for accessing DLNA devices on your internal network, so that you can access music and videos.

profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

As your Tv is still (presumably) working fine, you could look at getting any current Blu-ray player or the SMP-N200 which will add Internet Services at a much lower pricepoint.

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
lat002
Explorer

Thanks very much for that.  I've wanted a definitive answer for ages and only got it after joining this forum!

The Bravia TV does indeed work very well and I've already got a (Samsung) Home Theatre, so can access quite a lot of Samsung Apps (which include for instance BBC IPlayer & Lovefilm, etc). 

However, I've felt that I'm not using the full potential of the Bravia and must say quite like the sound of the SMP-N200 as a solution.  I will check out what additional stuff I could access through that equipment with the Bravia, (over and above what I can currently access through the Samsung).

:slight_smile:

Message was edited by: lat002

Message was edited by: lat002