Join now - be part of our community!

FMP-X5 Media Player

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

FMP-X5 Media Player

Hi,

I have a question following on from another thread regarding the above player. I notice that one of the features of this unit is that it can connect up to a 4K camcorder via USB and play personal XAVC-S movies. Since this player has been developed purely for the X9005A range of televisions does this mean that the unit is required or can one view their 4K XAVC-S movies by plugging straight into one of the HDMI ports of the 4K television as shown in the user manual for the AX100E for example ? I would hope that if I bought a 4K camcorder I would not need to buy the player as well ? Or is this another legacy of the doomed X9005A televisions ?

Hope I have posted this question in the correct place.

Regards

If it ain't broke don't fix it
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have had a bit of a read in the FDR-AX100E manual, and have found the following:

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4534655131/EN/contents/TP0000390098.html

From that I would say its possible, as you are probably using the internal processing of the camera for playback, and only outputting the results via HDMI.  Besides, there are NO HDMI inputs on the FMP-X5, therefore connecting a 4K Camera to it via HDMI would be imposible.

However, If you are intending to purchase the FDR-AX100E camera, double check this before (just in-case)

Cheers

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have had a bit of a read in the FDR-AX100E manual, and have found the following:

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4534655131/EN/contents/TP0000390098.html

From that I would say its possible, as you are probably using the internal processing of the camera for playback, and only outputting the results via HDMI.  Besides, there are NO HDMI inputs on the FMP-X5, therefore connecting a 4K Camera to it via HDMI would be imposible.

However, If you are intending to purchase the FDR-AX100E camera, double check this before (just in-case)

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

Thanks Quinnicus,

That's how I understand it too, it just makes it a tad misleading advertising a feature which is actually (probably) not required if you can just "plug & play" the camera straight into the television anyway - why use the media player ?

If it ain't broke don't fix it
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats ok.

I guess its for those that want to do it via USB either via the camera or via HDD/USB drive.

profile.country.en_GB.title
pmclaughlin
Explorer

Given the title of this thread, I figured it was best to put these two comments in here, so others with the same problems or struggles might easily find them.

1. First off, it has been a long time since the Fmp-X5 had a firmware update from Sony and so the 4K Amazon prime feature never arrived on the devices as announced. But more importantly the netflix app on this (£400 dedicated netflix) device seems to be failing behind, and now regularly crashes out to the front-end (netflix/mediaplayer screen) when switching from watching one show to another in the list.

The problem seems to occur when the netflix app has stale information (in its advert thumbnail/s), as when we re-access netflix, the advert section has been updated. (doing the update internet content from the network menu doesn't fix this; nor did a reset of the device or switching fibre broadband providers virgin/BT)

So the question is: When are Sony going to update the firmware to make the netflix app as current as the Ps4 app to stop it from crashing on a daily basis?

2. The second issue is, that after using handbrake to try and encode h.265 content to use with the device via usb stick, it would seem the online manual for the device - accessed through the menus - is woefully documented for letting people use their own HEVC/h.265 files with the Fmp-X5.

The major problem is, that the manual makes no mention of needing to use MKV containers for the h.265/HEVC video files - as opposed to MP4 containers – and yet, these mkv files are invisible to the device's filesystem, unless the user overrides their file extension to mp4. So in conjunction with the need for a more current netflix app, the FMP-X5 really needs a firmware update to allow the default MKV file extensions to be used for HEVC files in the filesystem.

At the same time, it would make sense to add detail to online manual file specification requirements. So that users would know that they want to be encoding using an MKV container, using the h.265/HEVC Main10 (8/10bit colour 4:2:0) or Main (8bit colour 4:2:0) profile.

The file below is a great example of how the device's filesystem can't play a perfectly valid refernece encodied h.265 file, because the file correctly uses the mkv file extension, but the device wants it changed to MP4 – despite the file not being a MP4 container or not containing mp4/h.264 encoded content

http://www.libde265.org/hevc-bitstreams/bbb-3840x2160-cfg02.mkv