Join now - be part of our community!

HD Freeview picture break-up

profile.country.en_GB.title
philburt
Visitor

HD Freeview picture break-up

Hi, I have a KDL-46HX853 and when I re-tune the TV using the auto tune the HD Freeview picture is excellent (on Channel 41). However, after a few days the all the Freeview HD (BBC/ITV etc) programmes are 'breaking up' and when I check the 'System information' the Channel has changed from 41 to 28. Standard definition programmes are unaffected.

To rectify this loss of HD Freeview I once again retune the TV using the auto tune facility.

Your help will be much appreciated

Thanks

Phil

6 REPLIES 6
Bravia55HX

Hi,

go to digital set up in settings and scroll down to Digital manual tuning and click that it will open up a window showing signal strength and quality, if these are nowhere near 100% it may be a good idea to update your Aerial for a better Digital one.

philburt
Visitor

Hi,

thanks for the quick response, but I don't think my aerial is the problem.

When the TV is tuned in correctly (on Channel 41) the signal strength & quality are both 100% or thereabouts. However, when the Channel has changed (by itself?) to Channel 28 the signal strength & quality are both poor (hence the picture break-up).

Phil

Bravia55HX

Hi again,

i have the 55HX853 and have no such issues with the channels, my dealer just hit Auto tune and it was done, i cant think of anything relating to your problem, have you checked in Digital set up where it says Auto tuning range?, i re set mine from normal to full, further down the list is something called LNA (CH21) on mine set to on, i believe its low noise amplifier for the signal, worth checking.

other than that i cant help, i suppose being reasonably close to a transmitter helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Im going to have a stab in the dark on this one. Here goes...

The FreeviewHD channels are on a different multiplex (mux for short) than other channels. Your TV like most other moddern TVs will automatically search each night (or whenever) to add new channels or relocate them.

Im guessing, that when you do a manual scan of the available channels, that it picks up the correct ones with the strongest signal. But supposingly at night, when it does its automatic scan, that the strongest signal is picking up from a different mux, maybe due to clear weather conditions. But when you turn your TV on in the daytime, it is now not the strongest signal, but the tv is already set to that.

So i guess you need to disable that automatic scan.  maybe someone else can help with that one

philburt
Visitor

Hi,

I think that you may be on to something Quinnicus, I just checked the Transmitter Reception information for my location on the Digitaluk website. It turns out that Emley Moor Transmitter is broacasting HD Freeview on Channel 41. My Aerial is pointing towards this tansmitter but I am some 74km from it and the Belmont Transmitter is only 30km away and it is transmitting HD Freeview on Channel 28. The reason I and virtually everyone where I live point their aerials at Emley Moor rather than Belmont is that we are not in direct line of sight (behind a hill), so for the majority of the time the reception from Belmont is somewhat patchy. But as you suggest, there may be times, especially overnight, when the reception from Emley Moor is not as good as that from Belmont. I will disable the 'Automatic Scan' feature.

Many thank for all the help.

Cheers

Phil

ZyggyG
New

Hi, I have the same issue with my WE753 Bravia.

Each day I turn on the tv I have to manual tune in my freeview HD channels to get best signal.

I hear that there’s an Automatic Scan feature but can’t find it in this model or is it also known as Auto Service Update?