Join now - be part of our community!

HDMI/HDCP not supported

profile.country.en_GB.title
Eric-the-Fruitbat
New

HDMI/HDCP not supported

I have just switched from Sky+ (non-HD) to Virgin TiVo (HD).  I have two TiVo boxes, one connected  to the Sony Bravia KDL32V4000 and the other to a Grundig GU22WDVD10.

When I turn on the Sony TV for the first time in the day I get a black screen (sometimes with sound, sometimes without) with a Virgin Media message displayed suggesting that HDMI is not available and suggesting that the TV does not support HDCP.

Virgin has investigated twice, but has found no problem with their equipment.  My own tests seem to confirm this – the Grundig works fine with both boxes, but the Sony reports the same error message on both.

I can eventually work round the problem by switching the box and the Sony TV to standby several times and flicking around the TiVo programme guide until I find a channel that gives me a picture as well as sound.  After that it usually works fine for the rest of the day, unless I power off the TV and turn it on again later - then sometimes I will get a picture straight away, other times I will get the error message.

I believe Sky HD users have experienced the same problem.

Has anyone here come across this problem...and found a less onerous solution?

4 REPLIES 4
Catmambo
Contributor

Yes, I'm pretty sure HDCP was mandatory on devices even back then. Have you tried a different HDMI cable? It may be that the handshaking isn't happening properly..

Thanks 

Eric-the-Fruitbat
New

The Virgin technician tested everything and changed the HDMI cable and then everything worked, so that was what he put on his worksheet.  But of course he'd turned the box and TV off and on several times and rebooted the box as well, and these actions alone would have been enough to clear the error.  Also, I've since changed the TVs over, using the same cables from the boxes and only the Sony set reports the problem - on both boxes.

Virgin are coming again today.  I'll give an update later.

Just found the same problem this morning. Changed HDMI cable without success, pulled out all the boxes, broadband, blue-ray, SkyQ and found that the optical cable had come out. Plugged it in and all working? Not sure of it helps.

profile.country.GB.title
TracyI
New

Hi

After reading your issues as I was experiencing the same, one TiVo 360 was working on a Samsung tv and the other TiVo on a Sony tv wasn’t. So I switched  the HDMI leads over and it work !!! So after all the frustration it was down to the HDMI leads …. Brought a new one the Samsung tv I switched out 😉