Join now - be part of our community!

HDMI input not working after thunderstorm

profile.country.sv_SE.title
janne963
Visitor

HDMI input not working after thunderstorm

I wonder if my 3 years old KDL-32E4020 is worth repairing after a the 3 HDMI inputs failing to receive any picture from sources after we had a thunderstorm?

I checked the VGA input and that works as well as SCART input, so I'm currently running my cable TV box on the SCART, missing HD :-(.

No more HTPC eighter.

Anyone has an idea on how to repair this TV?

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.en_GB.title
gofrost

coincidence maybe lightining would'nt affect hdmi connections unless the tv was connected to an aerial/satellite dish and received a shock or partial shock and damaged the tv i'm guessing that the scart connection was not  used during the storm and the vga is from your pc/laptop

janne963
Visitor

Actually there is a connection to a sat box but with a DVR and sound receiver (with hdmi) inbetween.

My guess is the killing impulse came through the AC power.

gofrost

if the other devices are ok i would'nt have thought that the ac spiked as they would be damaged as well everything being on a ring main if the tv works with no connections other than aerial or dish then it possibly isn't the tv is this a new setup or an existing one are the hdmi cables ok

janne963
Visitor

I have all 3 hdmi input died, I tried to connect also a PC with a new hdmi cable but no success.

To me it appears there is a komponent specific to hdmi in the TV that has died since all other external intefaces works (SCART, VGA, USB).

profile.country.da_DK.title
Nielsen

I would suspect the spike was from the TV cable, but I am surprised that your cable TV box survived (or do you know if HDMI out on that one is OK).

Since it's only possible to use one HDMI at a time on the TV, I guess all 3 ports are probably just connected by a switch to one common port, which maybe damaged.

Whether it's a small or a big repair you need a service technician to evaluate I think.:smileysad:

For Sony designers however I suggest better spike protection on HDMI should be evaluated, since your involuntary field test clearly shows a weak spot.:smileywink:

janne963
Visitor

I have now removed the back cover of he TV and removed, made a visual inspection on the main circuitboard with all the connection and found nothing visually damaged. So my best guess now is that a IC handling the hdmi interfaces is internally damaged, maybe you are right there is a switch in front of a single hdmi input.

I have sent a question to a service center in Sweden to see how much a new CB will cost.

To send the TV for check will cost ~€90 adn they will probably come to the same conlusion that the CB needs to be replaced, don't think they replace ICs on a PCB.

gofrost

if the pcb has received a spike there could be burn marks on it if the ic is on a socket it could be replace if not the whole unit needs changing