Join now - be part of our community!

Help! - Green screen when using Humax HDR via HDMI to Sony KDL-32EX723

profile.country.en_GB.title
bugman2008
Visitor

Help! - Green screen when using Humax HDR via HDMI to Sony KDL-32EX723

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me- I feel as if I've tried everything! Basically, up until a week ago, I had a Sony KDL-26U3000 LCD TV to which I had connected my Humax HDR-FOX T2 hard-disk recorder to, and everything worked fine.

Last week, I replaced my 26" Sony TV with a Sony KDL-32EX723 32" SMART 3D LED TV. Ever since then, I've been experiencing a green screen when attempting to use my Humax box via HDMI connection to my new Sony TV. When I switch on the Humax box, the Humax logo appears on the TV screen, followed by a brief 2 second flash of whatever channel the Humax box was last tuned to- and then just a green screen appears!

I've searched online in vain for a solution, and I understand that there is an issue with the "handshaking" between the two devices- but I'm at a loss as to whether the TV or the Humax box is to blame- especially as the Humax box worked fine with my previous Sony TV model. Firmware on both devices is current and up to date. The strange thing is, the Humax box has worked on 2 or 3 occasions with my new TV, but more often than not, I just get a blank green screen.

I've tried changing the HDMI settings on the Sony TV, I've tried switching the TV on first then the box, and also the other way around. I've tried different HDMI ports, different cables, restoring the TV to factory settings, restoring the Humax box to factory settings- but nothing seems to work, so as you can imagine, I'm pretty fed up as I have 2 expensive pieces of equipment that can't seem to talk to each other properly.

If anyone can shed any light on this, I'd be really grateful.

Many thanks

Michael

2 REPLIES 2
DigiViewer
Visitor

Hi Michael,

I was wondering if you eventually were able to overcome that Green screen issue.

I already own a Humax HDR-FOX T2 and am thinking of purchasing a Sony KDL-32EX723. However, I don't want to experience similar HDMI connection problems to the ones you faced.

I would also be very interested to learn of anyone elses experiences with using these items together.

DigiViewer

Message was edited by: DigiViewer

Message was edited by: DigiViewer

bugman2008
Visitor

Hi,

I'm pleased to say things are now much improved when using my Humax HDR FOX-T2 with my Sony KDL-32EX723.

After my original post, I  purchased a Sony BDV-EF200 3D blu-ray 2.1 home cinema system and then started experiencing signal dropouts on both the TV and Humax box, and when I retuned the Humax box, it failed to find many of the channels, including the HD ones. Let's just say I was not pleased to say the least.

However, when I rang Humax, they were very helpful and offered to send me a replacement box, even though it was unclear as to whether the Humax box or TV was to blame. Worth noting as well that my Humax box was over a year old, but if you go to Humax direct, rather than the place or purchase, a 2-year guarantee applies.

To cut a long story short, the new Humax box worked first time, even though the firmware was up to date on my original Humax box. However, I noticed there were a couple of new icons on the Humax TV Portal page, so I believe that the new Humax box has updated software that has not been released as an OTA broadcast yet.

As for the signal problems, I believe that the Sony KDL-32EX723, when linked to the Sony BDV-EF200 is more sensitive to interference, particularly due to the close proximity of the HDMI ports to the aerial socket, and the fact that the HDMI connection from the TV to the BDV-EF200 is ARC enabled (2-way communication). I was able to resolve this by using high quality coaxial double-shielded aerial cable, and a powered signal-booster.

On the odd occasion, I still get a flashing green screen (different to the original problem of a solid green screen) when using all 3 together, the TV, the Humax and the 2.1 system. However, unlike before, I can resolve this by switching all 3 units off and on again, so this is not really a problem.

Overall I would say things are now fine, but I can't give a definitive answer as to what really solved my issue, particularly as I introduced a 2.1 system into the mix! But I would say, if your Humax unit is under 2 years old and you have your receipt, Humax should be able to offer you a new unit to try. I found this much more useful than Sony support who simply said "buy a Sony gold-plated HDMI cable" which is complete nonsense as it's a digital cable, so it either works or it doesn't. There is no in between like with analogue where better quality cables can improve reception/picture, so don't be ripped off.

If you need any further assistance, please contact me.

Let me know how you get on!

Michael

P.S. The Sony TV is great by the way!