Join now - be part of our community!

Help!

SOLVED
dadsarmy
New

Help!

I have a KDL-40NX723 and SU-B401S Soundbar. Connected to this is a SVR-HDT500 hdd recorder.

I have been getting intermittent sound loss problems from the soundbar. The HDMI connections are correct and i have even tried another soundbar (Sony told me to buy this from Amazon!!!! It had obviously been used and even though they said they would refund the cost, 6 months later still nothing!!!)

This fault has now been going on for over a year, my local service centre have had a crack at it and replaced the soundboard in the tv. It was tested for a period of 4 weeks albeit without recorder connected and no fault could be found.

It was returned to the shop where i bought it from and it was also fine until they connected the recorder to it. It then very occasionally loses sound. Rebooting tv makes no difference but changing sound from audio system to tv speakers and back does sometimes work!! Firmware is up to date btw.

Sony have been an epic fail with this matter 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I'v e a very different configuration (KDL32W4000 tv, HTCT350 soundbar and RDR-HXD870 PVR) but I had some problem with HDMI putting everything together taht are partially solved. I can give you 2 suggestions:

• sometimes there are some fw versions that are not released to the public but are designed to solve specific problems. For my tv there was one specific for HDMI syncronizations issue: you may check this with a Sony service
  • using HDMI-CEC (or Bravia sync as it is called by Sony) involve a more complex handshake between devices. You may try to disactivate it and see if it works better even if you lose the feature of using a single remote for all the devices (but I think it's better that not hearing anything :slight_smile: )

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have the same TV, and same PVR recorder (of which is connected to a Sony AV Receiver, not a soundbar).  You are experiencing the same issues that I occasionally experience.  And you are correct, its to do with the recorder (HDT500). 

I believe it is a HDMI handshake issue, and not switching the audio output correctly.  My only workaround solution is to turn all TV equipment OFF from that wall.  Leave for a minute or 2, and turn it all on again.

I use to experience more problems with the HDT500 connected to the AV Receiver, but once I connected it to the TV instead, problems were less often.  Sometimes I can experience it once or twice a week, other times I can go a couple of months without it happening.

I have not reported the problem, because it is not too much of an issue for me in general and I find that if I switch all equipment off from the wall once a week, it occurs even less.

Anyway, I dont have a perminent solution for you, but hopefully you find some comfort in my experiences as well.

Cheers

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I'v e a very different configuration (KDL32W4000 tv, HTCT350 soundbar and RDR-HXD870 PVR) but I had some problem with HDMI putting everything together taht are partially solved. I can give you 2 suggestions:

• sometimes there are some fw versions that are not released to the public but are designed to solve specific problems. For my tv there was one specific for HDMI syncronizations issue: you may check this with a Sony service
  • using HDMI-CEC (or Bravia sync as it is called by Sony) involve a more complex handshake between devices. You may try to disactivate it and see if it works better even if you lose the feature of using a single remote for all the devices (but I think it's better that not hearing anything :slight_smile: )
dadsarmy
New

As an update to some of your suggestions, I now have the HDMI from the recorder going into the tv as opposed to the soundbar!

Also, I have noticed that the HD programmes seem to affect it more than SD, the DTS light which is normally on for HD programmes goes off along with the sound. On SD programmes there is no DTS light!!