Join now - be part of our community!

How do I get surround sound working on my Sony devices?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
andyevans189
Visitor

How do I get surround sound working on my Sony devices?

I have a Sony Blu-Ray (BDP-S470) connected by HDMI to my Sony TV (KDL-46HX903). The TV is then connected by HDMI to my Sony home Cinema (DAV-DZ260).

When I playback BluRays (e.g. Avatar) with the sound muted on the TV and the Home cinema set to 'TV' the sound  doesn't appear to output from the rear speakers. What settings do I need to make to get true Surround sound?

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bravia55HX

Hi,

best wat is to connect the Blu Ray to the DAV using a digital optical or coaxial lead as well, i use a digital coaxial lead from my player to my amp, one of these will get you going or you can get a QED one like i use.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fisual-Digital-Coaxial-Cable-Install/dp/B000WTM24Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&...

dont forget to set the player to output DD to DD and DTS to DTS in the audio settings

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Bravia55HX

Hi,

best wat is to connect the Blu Ray to the DAV using a digital optical or coaxial lead as well, i use a digital coaxial lead from my player to my amp, one of these will get you going or you can get a QED one like i use.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fisual-Digital-Coaxial-Cable-Install/dp/B000WTM24Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&...

dont forget to set the player to output DD to DD and DTS to DTS in the audio settings

andyevans189
Visitor

Hi thanks good advice

, is there no way to use the HDMI links passing through the TV to the home theatre?

Bravia55HX

i dont believe there is, besides its only one more cable!.:smileyhappy:

andyevans189
Visitor

Hi thanks again.

Agreed it is only one more cable but it is all built in and getting to the back takes ages but I suspected that the advice would be as you have said so thanks for the help.

I also have a PS3 connected into the TV using HDMI so I assume that the same answer will apply for that and I will then need an optical cable switching device to swap between them?

thanks   Andy

Bravia55HX

use the coaxial or the Blu Ray and the Optical for the PS3, thats what im doing when i get mine.

andyevans189
Visitor

Hi,

I have just done a bit more diggingh (and spoken to Sony) on my TV HDMI is labelled 'ARC' which stands for audio return channel. They reckon that if i use this connection for the home cinema then it will enable the TV to feed the surround sound signal from all the other decvices connected to it and give me the surround sound. I m about to try it but thought you might want to know     

profile.country.GB.title
jtonline.info
New

I don't think the DAV-DZ260 has ARC.  I think the HDMI is audio OUT only, with audio IN via digital coax or digital optical cable.

I used to have a Sony LCD TV that didn't support ARC although my Sony Home Theatre system does.  I used a combination of HDMI and optical cable and the sound was great.  I've now upgraded to a new Sony TV that has ARC over HDMI and have removed the optical cable.

andyevans189
Visitor

A further update - Sony's advice was incorrect and you are right. THe ARC didn't change anything but digging deep into the i-manual I discovered that to output dolby digital from the TV then I do need to connect the TV optical output to the Home Cinema. I also have to amend the speaker setting on the TV to Audio speakers - I will try this but theoretically I will then get dolby digital through the TV from the Sky box, Blu-ray and  PS3.