Join now - be part of our community!

How to connect an old Sony VCR to my new Sony Bravia TV?

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Kleisthenes
Explorer

How to connect an old Sony VCR to my new Sony Bravia TV?

The rear of my new Sony Bravia TV has HDMI IN sockets, COMPONENT IN sockets, and one SCART socket.

I’ve used the only SCART socket on the TV to connect to my old DVD player and this works well. My DVD player does not have any HDMI sockets, but it does have various AUDIO OUT, S-VIDEO OUT, VIDEO OUT, and COMPONENT VIDEO OUT sockets.

Now, I would also like to be able to play old video cassette tapes on the new TV, but I no longer record programmes on video cassette tapes. On the rear of my old Sony VCR, there are two SCART sockets, two AUDIO OUT (Left and Right) sockets, and an aerial socket for connecting to the aerial socket on the TV.

What would be the best/simplest/cheapest way of connecting the VCR to the TV in order to play (but NOT record) video cassettes tapes, bearing in mind that I wish to maintain a connection to my DVD player as well?

(I have noticed that my TV remote control has a button labelled DIGITAL/ANALOG. Might this button be relevant or useful?)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Kleisthenes
Explorer

Thank you for the reply.

I eventually opted to use a SCART cable for the VCR to TV connection and a composite cable for the DVD player to TV connection.  The composite cable appears to give acceptable performance, although I might be tempted to try a component cable at some point.  Also, using a composite cable means that I don't have to switch on the VCR in order to use the DVD player.  

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

If im reading this right

1. TV has HDMI / SCART / COMPONENT
  2. DVD has SCART / COMPONENT
  3. VHS has SCART

Why not connect it this way

• DVD to TV using COMPONENT cables
  • VHS to TV using SCART cable

Alternatively, if you want both on SCART, you can purchase a SCART Multi-adapter

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Kleisthenes
Explorer

Yes, you read it correctly.  Thank you.

I'm anxious for the DVD player to have the best possible reproduction on the TV.  Would I see any degredation if I switched from SCART to COMPONENT cables for the DVD player?

Would a SCART Multi-adapter (+ the extra length of SCART cable) have an impact on performance?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

If your talking about component (RGB) instead of composite (single yellow) - then arguably component is better than SCART.  However in real world, you will not notice the difference.  Best advice I can give is: give it a go.  If you dont like the setup, you've only lost the cost of the cable. 

All else fails, multi scart adapter - again in real world situation, you will not notice the quality difference with the adapter.  I would probably advice spending slighly more than poundland - as the build quality might make some difference in regards to less hassles of connectivity later on.  Had one myself, and kept cutting out and not working properly.  But thats just my experience.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Kleisthenes
Explorer

Thank you.

I already have a composite cable (supplied with my DVD player), but I don't have component cables.  Implicitly, you appear to be saying that a composite cable might not provide as good a performance as SCART.  Yes?

Another idea that I have just discovered is to "daisy chain" SCART cables through the VCR, so the configuration is DVD Player -> VCR -> TV, where the arrows represent the direction of the signal.  The VCR has two SCART sockets so, in theory, this looks as though it would work.  And I already have a spare SCART cable.  Might this be the best option to try before considering whether I need any new kit?

profile.country.GB.title
tatcan
Explorer

Hi you've answer your own question :laughing: so it'll be 

Dvd to Vcr via scart then vcr to tv via scart.

just need to remember that the vcr needs to be on and set to the right av input to view the dvd play back on the Tv.

TC

profile.country.GB.title
Kleisthenes
Explorer

Thank you for the reply.

I eventually opted to use a SCART cable for the VCR to TV connection and a composite cable for the DVD player to TV connection.  The composite cable appears to give acceptable performance, although I might be tempted to try a component cable at some point.  Also, using a composite cable means that I don't have to switch on the VCR in order to use the DVD player.  

profile.country.GB.title
tatcan
Explorer

Hi 

you'er right on both points, no need to turn on more units when both are connected to the tv.

And a component cable will give you a better signal/picture. 

TC