Join now - be part of our community!

How to play MPG files on Sony Bravia - solution!

profile.country.en_GB.title
BlueSmoke1000
Visitor

How to play MPG files on Sony Bravia - solution!

I recently bought a Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403U, and am very pleased with it except that when I plugged a USB drive into it and tried to play MPEG2 recordings I make from a satellite receiver, it wouldn't play them.  They are standard format MPEG-PS, with a standard SD resolution of 720x576.  They burn without conversion onto DVD, and play on other devices happily.

Searching the net, I found lots of people asking about this, and few satisfactory answers.  I don't want to convert the file and lose quality.  I briefly tried converting to MPEG1 video, the result was appalling.

Much research and tinkering later, and I have a solution.  I thought I'd share it here so that others might benefit.

First, get tsMuxeR software from here :http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_video/video_editing/smartlabs_tsmuxer_win.cfm - click on the picture of the floppy disk that says "download". This version is for Windows, I've not located a version for Macs as yet.

Unzip it into a folder, and run tsMuxeR GUI.  Drop your MPEG file onto it, and click the "M2TS Muxing" button near the bottom, choose the destination folder and filename, and then click "start muxing".  When it's done (it's fairly quick) you can copy the .M2TS file onto your USB drive, and your Sony Bravia should play it!

This program isn't converting the file contents - there's no loss of quality or resolution.  It's remuxing the file into a format the Sony Bravia is happy with.  If you use a program such as MediaInfo to compare the MPEG and M2TS files, you'll see that inside, they are the same MPEG standard.

Using this I can play SD MPEG recordings and they look very nice indeed on my Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403U.  I imagine this will work on other Sony Bravia models with USB playback that supports M2TS files.

Hope this is of use to others on here.

Message was edited by: BlueSmoke1000 to remove dead download link and replace with a working one.

17 REPLIES 17
jpcharlier
Visitor

Hi,

I have a Sony KDL-40BX400. I've converted an MKV file (x264 video and AC3 audio) to an M2TS using tsMuxeR GUI (said it was successful/no errors). However, the M2TS file does not appear on the file list when browsing the USB drive on the TV (16GB, FAT32 formatted). Other standard mpeg files etc list out fine and play (within the standard limitations!).

Has any one else encountered this or does anyone have any ideas on how to get around this?

Thanks,

Pierre.

profile.country.fr_FR.title
sletonqu
New

You can also used DLNA server like very good Serviio.org

http://www.serviio.org/news/40-sony-uk-recommends-serviio

KDL-46EX501, BDP-S373, SMP-N100, Serviio.org
BlueSmoke1000
Visitor

jpcharlier wrote:

I have a Sony KDL-40BX400. I've converted an MKV file (x264 video and AC3 audio) to an M2TS using tsMuxeR GUI (said it was successful/no errors). However, the M2TS file does not appear on the file list when browsing the USB drive on the TV (16GB, FAT32 formatted). Other standard mpeg files etc list out fine and play (within the standard limitations!).

Has any one else encountered this or does anyone have any ideas on how to get around this?

I'd check the following :

Have you named the file with a .M2TS extension?

Is it definately on the USB flash drive (I've made this mistake before!)

Does the KDL-40BX400 support M2TS? My Bravia is the 2010 range EX, which does - I wonder if the BX doesn't?

The file not appearing on the list on the tv suggests it's either not there, or the TV isn't listing .M2TS files.

Providing tsMuxeR remuxes the file ok, I've never had any problems playing back it's output on my Sony Bravia.

Let me know how you get on

sletonqu
New

For DLNA:

Sony KDL-40BX400 has not a DLNA certification, only BX405 has it.

To check the formats supported over DLNA, you can use the INTEL Upnp Tools, see this link for explanation and post here the result.

For USB: see this link : https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/servlet/JiveServlet/download/656417-51797/codecs%20and%20formats....

sletonqu
New

For USB with KDL-40BX400:

Audio codec supported: only mp3

Video codec supported: MPEG1, DivX, H264 (MPEG4 AVC)

File formats supported

- MPEG1 "mpg"

- MP4 ".mp4"

- DivX "avi"

- MP3 ".mp3"

- JPEG "jpg" DCF2.0 or Exif 2.21

profile.country.sv_SE.title
TerriToniAX
New

Wow! It works like a charm :slight_smile:  Thanks mate, you saved my day and are officially a hero.

harishr
New

Hi,

can you please provide software for play all types of video format through USB.

thanks a lot in advance, i hope that will get a as soon as possible update on it. please provide the link.

Model no:- KLV 32 BX 300

Regards,

Harish

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Your TV supports the following file formats

_20150901_203847.JPG

It is unlikely that further codecs/formats will be added.

Cheers