Join now - be part of our community!

How to view my old Sony camcorder AVI output on my Bravia TV, which only has HDMI inputs?

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
nevillestyke

How to view my old Sony camcorder AVI output on my Bravia TV, which only has HDMI inputs?

I want to watch my old tapes on my new TV. All the other TVs I've had were fitted with a SCART input or an AVI input, but this current one has nothing but HDMI sockets.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @nevillestyke,

am I right to assume your camcorder came with a cable which has composite video+chinch (yellow, white, red)?

If so, simply use that cable and an adapter which adapts to this TRRS 3.5mm connector.

Depending on which adapter you buy it can be that the yellow colored input doesn`t match the contact on the 3.5mm end which the TV has set as "video" input. If that is the case, simply connect the yellow cable from the camcorder to the red or white one until you have an image.

The audio cables (red and white) simply need to get connected to the other two leftover inputs of the adapter.

This is due to these adapters not being standardized but it is really only an isue if you focus on the colors of the connector (which no one really does unless he or she knows that you had to plug them in differently).

I hope that answers your question.

- Nic

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @nevillestyke,

which TV do you have?

Modern TVs have a 3.5mm jack which supports analog video input via an adapter (composite+chinch).

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
nevillestyke

Ah, I see. I thought the 3.5 mm 'analogue in' socket was for video input only, not audio and video. Does it take a 4-pole plug, wired the same as the one at the camcorder end?AV Pinout.JPG

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @nevillestyke,

am I right to assume your camcorder came with a cable which has composite video+chinch (yellow, white, red)?

If so, simply use that cable and an adapter which adapts to this TRRS 3.5mm connector.

Depending on which adapter you buy it can be that the yellow colored input doesn`t match the contact on the 3.5mm end which the TV has set as "video" input. If that is the case, simply connect the yellow cable from the camcorder to the red or white one until you have an image.

The audio cables (red and white) simply need to get connected to the other two leftover inputs of the adapter.

This is due to these adapters not being standardized but it is really only an isue if you focus on the colors of the connector (which no one really does unless he or she knows that you had to plug them in differently).

I hope that answers your question.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
nevillestyke

Yes, it has red, white, yellow RCA plugs. Something like this would work, switching the yellow and red around, as long as the Bravia has third from the tip as ground, in the socket; otherwise it won't work at all. Many thanks.

Capture.JPGWiring.JPG