Join now - be part of our community!

I was told my TV came with a 5 year warranty!

orakevin
Explorer

I was told my TV came with a 5 year warranty!

The Sony sales rep and the Manager in the shop that sold me the TV I purchased, a KD-55X9005A, both told me that the TV came with a 5 year warranty.  When I registered my product just now, it says I have a one year warranty, but that I can buy a 5 year plan.

Please tell me what gives here?

Tags (1)
41 REPLIES 41
profile.country.GB.title
Stevea007
Explorer

Found out that the 5 years is with currys not Sony just keep the receipt for proof!

Sent from my iPhone
malcolm1962

@Stevea007 wrote:
Found out that the 5 years is with currys not Sony just keep the receipt for proof!

Sent from my iPhone

Its not correct. See my previous post. I have the following in writing from Currys Executive Complaints team:

"This product does include 5YG provided by Sony, it is automatically registered, so no action from customers required.  Sony will not contact customers, as they remain anonymous to them unless there is a claim (the unit is identified by its serial number". the t&cs are on the link I provided. 

It seems that stores hadn't been advised properly and neither had the cental call centre due to the fact that Sony was still setting the arrangement up.

DianaCas
New

Same problem here. I'm going back tomorrow to Currys and if I don't get a satisfactory answer, I'm going to Trading Standards.

malcolm1962

@DianaCas wrote:

Same problem here. I'm going back tomorrow to Currys and if I don't get a satisfactory answer, I'm going to Trading Standards.

Sorry, I dont understand the basis on which you propose to go to Trading Standards. You have a 5 year guarantee with Sony and the details specifically for DSG Stores (ie Currys) are on the link I provided. I agree the lack of proper communication from Currys at store level is pathetic, but at least we have the cover that was advertised. 

profile.country.GB.title
Pete4L

I bought my Sony Bravia 3 weeks ago from Thurgo in Exeter (online) It was advertised as having a 5 year gaurantee but I never received any forms to send off. I thought that just registering on this site was registering the guarantee! I'm at a loss as what to do.

malcolm1962

@Pete4L wrote:

I bought my Sony Bravia 3 weeks ago from Thurgo in Exeter (online) It was advertised as having a 5 year gaurantee but I never received any forms to send off. I thought that just registering on this site was registering the guarantee! I'm at a loss as what to do.

You need to contact Thurgo about it. The details of the warranty Sony provides via participating retailers can be found here:
http://services.sony.co.uk/support/files/services/en_gb/Extended_Warranty_Terms_Conditions.pdf
However, for non-DSG customers (ie those other than Currys), you need to register the purchase and my understanding is that the reatiler should provide you with an appropriate form to complete which is also stampted by them.

profile.country.GB.title
Pete4L

@malcolm1962 Thanks for your help... I have called Thurgo & one of the guys working there emailed me tthe forms.... the only problem is they were for TV's bought between August- Spetember 2015. I bought my TV in October! So I'm now waiting to hear back. I just hope this isn't going to be a problem as the set was advertised as having a 5 year guarantee.At least I paid by credit card so I guess I should get things sorted out eventually.

esaquin
Explorer

The 5 years warranty is with Currys not Sony. My original receipt doesn't mention anything about the warranty and the knowhow rep has to print me a repair receipt to obtain the proof of warranty.image.jpeg

profile.country.GB.title
Pete4L

An update to my case is after much phoning & emailing Thurgo Ltd (Where I bought My Bravia X85C) then Citizens Advice & finally Sony direct, I know have verbal assurance that my TV is guaranteed for 5 years by SONY...

Apparently they no longer require customers to fill in forms to send back to Sony. At the point of purchase the customers details are entered along with the product serial number & it's registered directly by Sony themselves. I have a contract number (given to me verbally by Sony customer support) for my guarantee but nothing in writing as yet, so until I have something in writing I remain sceptical about the whole thing.. I'd love to know if anyone else has had problems with 5 year warranties supplied with their Sony products bought from independant stores not Sony or DSG group.

malcolm1962

@esaquin wrote:

The 5 years warranty is with Currys not Sony. My original receipt doesn't mention anything about the warranty and the knowhow rep has to print me a repair receipt to obtain the proof of warranty.image.jpeg

I'm afraid you are wrong. The guarantee on a Sony TV bought through Currys is provided by Sony. i've posted details of this before, including a link to the official documentaion that was provided by Dixons Carphone Customer complaints team