Join now - be part of our community!

iplayer unbearably slow

profile.country.en_GB.title
ericpode
Visitor

iplayer unbearably slow

Is there a known problem with the latest firmware PKG4.012EUA-0104 for the CX523 TV ?

Ever since the firmware installed, the iPlayer has been impossible to use. Programmes are buffering for ages after every few seconds of playing so that it's impossible to watch. Also the graphic interface sometimes takes a long time to paint itself. I'm using the Sony wireless dongle. The TV and the broadband router have not been moved, and neither has anything else.

It's as if it is being used over a very slow broadband connection, but I have repeatedly tried speedtest.net on my laptop over my wireless connection and it always says the download speed is between 6 and 7 Mbps.

Also I can watch programmes on the iplayer on my laptop via wireless full-screen without any problems at all.

Before the latest firmware was installed I could watch programmes on iPlayer on my CX523 without any problems - even with the iPlayer HD option.

This all seems to point to a problem with the latest Sony firmware. I'm really fed up that I can't watch iPlayer any more on my Sony TV. :slight_frown:

Is anyone else getting similar problems?

10 REPLIES 10
dbsdbs
Visitor

Hi

Yes same problem here, although iPlayer will not open at all, I get an error message asking to check the network connection. The connection is fine however as I can watch you tube through the tv without problem. The problem had occurred since the PKG4.012EUA-0104 update.

sony-cat

I am also having problems with iplayer, it won't load at all.  I get this error message:

This page display failed.  Please check the following items:

- Is URL correct?

- Is Network setting correct?

- Is LAN cable connected?

In certain netowrk situations, it may not be displayed even under the correct setup.

If I try to go back using the 'Return' button the on the remote, I get this info, before being redirected back to the first page (it redirects very quickly, so I am not 100% on the url):

Redirection Status

The URL was redirected to http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer?awkb=mcB:27  Please click on the link to go there.

Generated by Opera.

My TV is KDL40HX723.  I am using an ethernet cable and my internet is working fine.  My firmware version is PKG4.012EUA-0104 also.

choonmixer
Visitor

Same problem here. So what are Sony doing about it? Are we going to get an answer from them on this board?

Pchamberlin
Visitor

So am I correct in thinking that the latest firmware PKG4.012EUA-0104 update has caused an iPlayer to fail? And looking at the first post here is dated 6th Aug with no response from Sony, suggests this isn't something they are rushing to fix?

dommatyler
Visitor

I'm replying to all the posts about this issue in the hope that it might help somehow.

Same issue for me. KDL-32CX523, firmware PKG4.012EUA-0104. Same white screen and error message. Thought perhaps that the BBC had changed their URL for web-enabled TV access? It certainly looks like it's a missing link error, when I press "back" I get a flash of a previous page, which shows a message about the URL but I can't read it fast enough, looks like "sony-cat" (above) is a faster reader.

Please fix SONY, I really value this funtion.

Thanks.

sony-cat

Also, if anyone knows if the BBC have webpages about, or support for their Bravia apps, I would be very grateful for a link.  I have found articles about apps coming to Bravia from the BBC, but nothing in the way of support.

sony-cat

Very odd.  Mine appears to be working now at time of posting.  I have not updated the firmware, I am still on PKG4.01EUAA-0104.  In fact, I haven't changed anything at all.

Also when it was broken yesterday, I checked on my laptop and PS3, iplayer was fine on there.

How are your tv's doing?  Any improvement? 

I am wondering if they BBC had temporaily broken some of the links for the Sony iplayer app, possibly by moving something on a server?  It seems odd that all the other Bravia apps on the TV still worked, and iplayer worked on all my other systems and that the firmware hasn't changed and this has resolved itself.

I would be very interested to know how other peoples TV's are behaving.

dbsdbs
Visitor

The problem from last night has now resolved itself, still on same firmware and iPlayer is now working ok, very odd :slight_smile: .

Catmambo
Contributor

I think this has been fixed now - nothing was changed on the Sony side and seemingly after lunch yesterday BBC changed something and now everything is working again.

Apologies for any inconvenience