Join now - be part of our community!

ITV player / Adobe Flash 10 on Sony KDL-37EX524

profile.country.en_GB.title
honestaitch
Visitor

ITV player / Adobe Flash 10 on Sony KDL-37EX524

I recently purchased a Sony KDL-37EX524, and generally speaking I am very pleased with it.

However, one concern is the lack of an ITV Player. I have read the sticky which mentions that Sony are working on this. Is there likely to be an announcement on this soon?

Also, I have tried to the the ITV player via the Internet Browser, but this requires Adobe Flash 10. I have seen another append which states that this software has software licensing cost issues and uses a lot of CPU. However, for a product which sells itself on the ability to watch on-demand video content and to be able to access the internet, I feel that this is a bit of a con. I think that the product information should explicitly state that ITV player cannot be used on this device.

3 REPLIES 3
Batfinkk

Marketing 101 - Why would any manufacturer advertise a product as not featuring something?

Putting services on TV's is a two way street - there is no obvious reason why Sony wouldn't want ITV on their sets, so one has to look at ITV's motives - the fact they aren't on anyone elses TV's either gives you a clue that maybe the issue isn't the manufactures...

honestaitch
Visitor

If that is the case then how come that the ITV player is available on the Playstation 3 ?

I would have thought any a media company such as Sony would use similar software on all their products, to keep down R&D and manufcturing costs, and they have demonstrated that they are able to provide this functionality on the PS3.

Catmambo
Contributor

I think the point Batfink is making is that the TV and Console architecture and O/S are indeed totally different. PS3 has an incredibly fast processor onboard, which is arguably a supercomputer in its own right - thus capable of rendering out games etc. TV''s are far simple devices - so its not just a case of copy paste unfortunately.

Indeed no there are no TV's on the market with ITV player onboard at the moment as far as I'm aware.

thanks