Join now - be part of our community!

Just bought a SMP-N200

profile.country.en_GB.title
gazz1e
Visitor

Just bought a SMP-N200

Hi,

I've just bought a SMP-N200 media streamer. I previously owned a WD Live Media Player, but replaced it as I wanted to stream LoveFilm content to my TV, in addition to play content from a USB hard disk. On the whole, I'm impressed with the device, but I've got a few questions...

1) On my WD Live Player, I was required to eject the disk before unplugging it. I've not found the option in the SMP-N200 - is there one?

2) When I sign in to Youtube, I can't see any of my unlisted videos. It's a bit strange considering the player has my youtube credentials.

3) I understand Netflix support is available in America, but not the UK. A UK press release said Netflix support was coming @ http://presscentre.sony.co.uk/content/detail.aspx?ReleaseID=7570&NewsAreaId=2. What happened?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
drhowells
New

Hi, I can answer the Netflix question.... Netflix isn't and won't be available for your device. It is only available on the new 2012 model devices. Netflix have decided to use a different form of security (DRM) in the UK to the US and it will only work on newer devices.

Catmambo
Contributor

Yes

As the good dr points out - Netflix won't be on the N200 - however, if you have only just purchased it, you could instead swap it for a 2012 Blu-ray player like the BDP-S390, which does feature it and gives you the same streaming functionality as the N200 & wifi. for around about the same kind of price point.

No requirement to eject the disk before unplugging on the Sony models.

Thanks

gazz1e
Visitor

Thanks for the answers. Bit gutted that I bought something yesterday and it's already considered as being out of date. I bought the device from Argos (a british retailer) and they said the device is excluded from the 30 days return policy. Bit odd.

Anyway, I think I prefer Lovefilm Instant to Netflix - I could only find acient stuff on Netflix, such as Howard the Duck.

abigdrew
Visitor

Hi Catmambo, I see that Netflix will not be available on the SMPN200 - does the same apply for the BBC Sport app? (or will it be coming soon?)

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

Unfortuantely not. The BBC have said they will likely port it to 2011 TV's and 2012 Blu-ray players. SMP-N200 is based on the 2011 Blu-ray platform and so won't get it I'm afraid.

Thanks