Join now - be part of our community!

*** KD-65XE7003 "Upscaling" Query

profile.country.GB.title
Peeoff
Explorer

*** KD-65XE7003 "Upscaling" Query

I've already started a thread about our new 65XE7003 a few days ago but I cant seem to find it now?

Ok, just a quick query about upscaling.

The Sony website states for my model of TV and, I suppose it covers many other Sony 4K TV's, states with regard to X-Reality PRO, "Driven by the 4K X-Reality PRO engine, everything you watch is upscaled to near 4K quality"

Now, I've taken that to mean that 'everything' I watch would be upscaled to near 4K qulaity so, I carried out a little test of flicking between SD mainly and a few HD channels, ranging from BBC, ITV, C5, Fox News and Gold but, I was greatly disappointed because the SD channels still looked like SD and, quite obviously, the HD channels were good anyway but none of them were anywhere near 4K qulaity.

Am I missing something here?  Are there settings that I need to enable or are Sony making ot up?

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

If you do manage to loose your post, simply go into your account profile for the forums and you should see a list of all your posts.

Anyhow, I guess you may not have read my reply in the other thread about upscaling - added a little extra anyhow:

SD > HD > 4K Upscaling

The problem is, you cannot add details to the original broadcast to improve quality.  Upscaling SD content onto a 65" screen is always going to look crap.  You are blowing up or magnifying any imperfections in the video quality and hence part of the problem. The closer you view the TV, the worse your perception is on the quality as well.

Try watching BBC1 SD on Freeview without the Sky box and compare it.  Sky seems to use the resolution of 544x576 where-as BBC seem to use 704x576.  Meaning Sky SD quality is lower.  Added to that is the video bitrates and compression.  More info about bitrates : HERE

profile.country.GB.title
Peeoff
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus

Thanks for your reply.

Upscaling well explained and understood so, when Sony state on their website -> "Driven by the X-Reality PRO engine, EVERYTHING you watch is upscaled to near 4K quality"!

So, in reality, the X-Reality PRO Engine actually does nothing to improve the picture quality?  It does not upscale anything so that's a load of baloney?  You've explained it well so this is just a Sony selling ploy?

They should be pulled up for false advertising!

So, when do we get to see 4K quality?