Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-24EX320 USB port stopped working within a day

SOLVED
profile.country.fi_FI.title
Zatty_
Visitor

KDL-24EX320 USB port stopped working within a day

So I got my brand new KDL-24EX320 yesterday and was really happy with all its features. The picture is great and I love the internet and  USB features.

I updated the firmware to the newest version using a USB flash drive. After that, I registered a 500 GB  external HDD and even made a test recording which worked great. I also tried watching HD video on the USB flash drive, and no problem there either.

Everything was fine until: Day 2. The television simply refuses to recognize anything connected to the USB port. It simply pretends no device is connected, whether HDD or thumb flash drive. I cannot even attempt to re-register the HDD since  the TV simply doesn't see the device is there.

I have obviously tried restarting several times, taking off power cord and resetting factory default settings, to no avail.

I shot a message towards Sony Finland support, and hope they can say if I should to send the TV back for service, but if somebody has had similar experiences, or have suggestions, I'd like to hear about them. :slight_smile:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
Bravia55HX

Hi,

ok, no more beating about the bush!,

only option is to speak to your dealer and explain the problem to him, clearly its not right.

regards.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Bravia55HX

Hi Zatty_,

i read your post with interest and noted you did a factory re set, did you remember to re install the latest firmware also?

i believe you will need to do that first before you re attempt to register your HDD device.

Zatty_
Visitor

Thanks for the reply.

I had considered this, but it seems the firmware did not actually revert to the older version when I did the factory reset. It just resetted all the settings and channels, but the System Information screen still shows the fimware version as the updated PKG3.407EUA. Then again, with the USB port seemingly not working or reacting to any device, I wouldn't be able update the firmware using a thumb drive anyway.

Bravia55HX

Hi,

sorry, i did not make it clear, you can connect to the internet either by ethernet or wireless and re check the firmware is up to date that way.

i am not aware of any USB port failures as such and can only conclude its a firmware problem, i would try doing the above that way first as just because the screen shows the firmware as up dated does not nesessarily mean its actually there!, its worth a try.

Zatty_
Visitor

Oh, right. Well, it was worth a try. I made the TV check the internet for software update, but it just says: "Newer version not detected."

Bravia55HX

Hi,

ok, no more beating about the bush!,

only option is to speak to your dealer and explain the problem to him, clearly its not right.

regards.

KDL-CX520
Visitor

Hi

Did you try with the 2nd USB port? is it same?

Regards

Zatty_
Visitor

The model only has one USB port.

KDL-CX520
Visitor

I see, if the USB socket is clean, then Sony service will support you in this issue.

i am curious to know about Sony Finland reply.

Regards,

KDL-CX520
Visitor

Hi Zatty_

Thank you for the feeback , it is really a unique problem

Let us share the problem cause probabities before you send the unit for repair

1- Personally i don't think the problem related to firmware update because you stated it was ok for 2 Days

2- let us presume that both HDD and flash are working fine by connecting them to PC/ laptop

3- I know that Sony TVs compatible with FAT32 or exFAT system files...NTFS is not matching (did you changed the format within the 2 days?)

4- Both HDD and flash are free of virus and does not have any startup program such as Launch.exe or others

5- Clean out the TV USB port to eliminate the possibility of bad contact

The above are only possibilities of problem cause, even they are minor:smileyhappy:

Next step let us see Sony service center diagnostic results and what they will find !!