Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-24EX320 USB port stopped working within a day

SOLVED
profile.country.fi_FI.title
Zatty_
Visitor

KDL-24EX320 USB port stopped working within a day

So I got my brand new KDL-24EX320 yesterday and was really happy with all its features. The picture is great and I love the internet and  USB features.

I updated the firmware to the newest version using a USB flash drive. After that, I registered a 500 GB  external HDD and even made a test recording which worked great. I also tried watching HD video on the USB flash drive, and no problem there either.

Everything was fine until: Day 2. The television simply refuses to recognize anything connected to the USB port. It simply pretends no device is connected, whether HDD or thumb flash drive. I cannot even attempt to re-register the HDD since  the TV simply doesn't see the device is there.

I have obviously tried restarting several times, taking off power cord and resetting factory default settings, to no avail.

I shot a message towards Sony Finland support, and hope they can say if I should to send the TV back for service, but if somebody has had similar experiences, or have suggestions, I'd like to hear about them. :slight_smile:

16 REPLIES 16
Zatty_
Visitor

Here's a little update:

I discussed the situation with a Finnish Sony support rep, and all he could do was give me some ideas on what to try, but this particular issue wasn't a common one to him either. His suggestions were related to compatibility issues with certain USB devices, but in this case the TV had accepted my devices just perfectly for the first day, and so the situation couldn't be solved. He eventually said a Sony service should take a look at the TV.

After a brief exchange of mails with the internet store from where I ordered it (Verkkokauppa.com), I decided to mail the TV back to their service people who'll probably pass it on to an actual Sony service center. It's going to take a week or two; i'll tell you what happens.

Zatty_
Visitor

Hi, KDL-CX520,

To answer your questions, here goes:

3-  I know that Sony TVs compatible with FAT32 or exFAT system files...NTFS  is not matching (did you changed the format within the 2 days?)

The flash drive is FAT32. The HDD's original file system shouldn't matter, since the TV formatted it anyway (or I think it does when you register it for recording use), but it was probably NTFS originally. Both worked for the first day nevertheless, and neither was altered in between, so I'm rather doubtful this matters.

4- Both HDD and flash are free of virus and does not have any startup program such as Launch.exe or others

Correct.

5- Clean out the TV USB port to eliminate the possibility of bad contact

This shouldn't really be an issue for a TV that was taken out of the box just one day earlier, but I did try to check for any visible dirt or dust, and it looked completely clean.

Anyways, the TV's now being inspected/repaired, so it's out of my hands now. :slight_smile:

Zatty_
Visitor

Update: TV's on its way back from the service and should be brought to me in a day or two. I received an email where there was a one line explanation of what was done to it. Basically: "replaced motherboard, updated firmware, tested features."

Well, looks like a happy ending, even though I have no clue what exactly caused the USB port to malfunction.

profile.country.en_GB.title
Bravia55HX

Zatty_,

it looks like you have a satisfactory result then, well done!

profile.country.en_GB.title
KDL-CX520
Visitor

Hello Zatty_ again,

Thank you for the feedback and glad that your TV problem solved.

May be the USB controller get failure on the motherboard so Sony fix it right first time... There was no relation between firmware update and the fault...Just it was bad luck it happen 2 Days after updating :slight_smile:

Have a nice day

Zatty_
Visitor

Yeah, got my telly back just a moment ago, and everything works fine again. :slight_smile:

JEDi624
Explorer

If you have not heard of USB ports that stopped working,  mine did just that.  i have a Bravia KD55X720E  and overnight all 3 usb ports stopped working, as well as the ability to connect to the internet.  It's been 2 months now,  and I have had no luck in making my TV smart again.  It's out of warrantee,  so if a motherboard needs replacing, it may be cheaper to buy another TV.  maybe a different brand.